Search the forum,

Discuss DIY - saw to cut 10mm granite??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zygo

Could anyone offer guidance to a capable DIYer on cutting granite tiles please?
I COULD use my B&D 4in Angle grinder with a diamond disc but I really want something to produce absolutely straight cuts to make upstands for the skirting. A bit less dust would be welcome, too!
Table wet saws seem to have problems unless you get the guide rail absolutely parallel to the blade (some seem to be out of true and I'm not sure they would be up to cutting 10mil granite anyway.
So I'm pretty well decided to get a used radial saw. It needn't be big, as the tiles are 12in (305mm) but Rubi is out of the question on price grounds (£250 plus). I've seen some from Silverline, Rexon, Norton / Clipper, Titan, Berlan, ToppsTiles, Axminster and others. but there seems to be a strong similarity between some of them that makes me think they're all made in the same factory (probably in Beijing) and finished in different livery for retailers.
Can anyone offer me some advice on what to go for, or what to avoid? Better still, can anyone offer me a saw? I'm looking for a used one that I can sell on afterwards, rather than hiring (as I tend to take my time).
Thanks given to all who respond.
Z

Z

zygo

FOLLOW UP:

Something I've been looking at is a Rexon RTC200a (which has a 700W motor and a 200mm disc. Its cheap and well used but I figure that a decent new blade should do it?

Anyone have experience of it? Any doubters? :huh2:
z

G

Gazzer

I used to have the Rexon cutter yoou mention or a similar one. Power wise you will have to take it slow when cutting but if you equip it with a good quality cutting wheel it will have no problems cutting. The actual machine is a decent tool, power is lacking and of course they only supply a cheap wheel, that said i used mine for a few years with no problems.

Z

zygo

Thanks, Sir Ramic. :thumbsup: Just out of interest, which wheel would you have used on it for 10mm granite?

I thought 700W might be verging on mediocre and have seen another make with a more powerful 900W motor. But I also thought it would be a whole lot better than a 550W desktop or an angle grinder. I think it will do then, especially as I'm not in a hurry (as you can tell from my timetable!)
Thanks,

Z

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Have a chat to Tradetiler and he will be able to sort you out a wheel.
I always use Marcrist or Rubi wheels if i can.

D

DEWALT

zygo,

Where abouts are you?

If you are anywhere near Spennymoor in County Durham I have tile saws of all makes, shapes and sizes I could lend you?

P

penno

For cutting Granite mate use a Rubi Granite wheel, they are made specifically (however you spell it :) ) and cut the stuff perfect.

I would personally get a cutter from a shop that is "tiling the nation" ,do the job and return it as it is "burnt out" somehow :)
"no i dont want it exchanged i want a refund"

:)

Z

zygo

DEWALT: Unbelievably kind offer mate. But why are all the best tilers Up Norf - Fraid I'm down here in Essex!

Really nice of you all the same. - If you have some for sale, I might be interested in a trade - I don't mind a bit of travelling as I can incorporate it into another trip one day. but I was in Derby at the weekend and might be able to make one more visit (to collect) but no more planned after that (to return it).
Cheers, all the same. Z

PENNO: Marcrist and Rubi seem to be the best but at £50 a pop, they seem a bit overkill for my little DIY job. I was thinking more like £20 tops. Still, the advice is welcome. Thanks. Z

P

penno

Mate the price of blades may seem expensive but you are honestly not going to pick up a blade for £20 that will do the job that you need.

Maybe get all your full tiles down and get all your cuts marked up, hire a cutter for one day and get them done.?

Z

zygo

Mmm. I may need to rethink this through then.
Thanks for that tip. If I'd wasted £20 on a wheel that wasn't up to the job, I really have been fed up.
Z

Reply to DIY - saw to cut 10mm granite??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen