Discuss Cost of living crisis poll! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
This cost of living crisis does not seem to be going away anytime soon and as we go into Winter, tilers and other sole traders are starting to feel the pinch. Inflation, prices rises, fuel and materials - nothing seems to be getting cheaper anytime soon.

TilersForums.com are asking members whether they have seen a difference in the availability of work since the start of the year. Have you had to up your prices to cover the rising costs of materials and fuel etc. Have you seen a change in the amount of work your have been getting? Has it gone up or down? Have you noticed anything else?

Please answer the poll and leave a few comments about how the current situation is affecting you.

Thanks for answering :)

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I never used to charge for fuel, but I work that out and add it to every job now. I only travel within about a 15 mile radius, but still it adds up and I csnt just swallow that cost any more.

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
I have added a fuel "surcharge" to my job costs, the farthest one back in May was a 70 mile round trip. Gas at the time was about $3.69 a gallon, It did drop to 3.24 about two weeks ago, but has shot up to 3.50 in the past week. The high here was $4.30
But Technically being retired my Hummer has not moved in three days!

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering what people were doing about travelling to jobs and if more were staying localish. Hopefully it won't be like this forever!

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I'm still busy and earning a great day rate as I've kept on putting that up. Think it's reached a peak now though and soon enough I'll have to accept earning less

Reaction score
With rising costs there is an inevitability that the price we have to charge will increase. We all have to pay for the increases in the cost of living and the people who work with me are just as entitled as anyone not to find themselves in a position they cannot afford to live. As a team we have developed a level of expertise in the sort of work we do which would be difficult to replace, so to some extent we are lucky that the demand so far is still there.
The worry has to be the current governments ineptitude and the general lack of trust in them and the policies will tank the whole economy.

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
my prices have had to go up.
All materials have gone up. a 5 ltr weber primer was £18.95 in ctd earlier this year
its now £29.95 and lets not start on fuel its gone mad

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
prices have to go up……everything has gone daft price wise.
saying that…….still busy as ****, and running around like a loon, but, I turned 60 a few weeks ago, and wanted to cut back to a 4 day week……..not a chance at the moment 🥴

I for one think we are heading for a recessio, and work may come to a grinding halt. Hope not 🤔

Reaction score
I'm still busy and earning a great day rate as I've kept on putting that up. Think it's reached a peak now though and soon enough I'll have to accept earning less
Tiling industry prices have never kept up with inflation really, I started my apprenticeship back in 1998 the tilers vacancy then were getting £120+ a day and most were employed with holiday pay, sick pay, all tools, company van and travel costs, company contribution pension, time and half Saturday, double time Sunday etc etc.
Now 25 years later Tilers are getting £150 to £250 a day only option is to be self employed. No holiday pay, No sick pay, provide all their own tools, vehicles, fuel and all associated costs, no pension, small incentive if any for working out of hours. So in real terms are actually paid less than 25 years ago.

Reply to Cost of living crisis poll! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks