Search the forum,

Discuss Contract in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

py rookie

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi there,just a quickie boss has come up with this great idea,a new contract that's states I can't not work within 50 miles of this house,I'm a tiler,mostly site work by the way,is this right?can he stop me from working if I left his company???

J

J Sid

I think he may be able to do something like that. But i am think it is only 10 miles or so, if you leave of your own free will and only for a shortish period. My step daughter had something similar as a hairdresser. You need to look into it a bit before you sign anything. Someone here may have more knowledge.

W

White Room

Personally can't see how thats going to work and I'd be telling him to shove it....

P

Peter

Sounds like garages who don't let their mechanics do homers at night. Not really any of the employer's business imo as long as they're not poaching customers.

py rookie

TF
Arms
Reaction score
He basically made me sign it,I've been told its a breech of my human rights to work,I'm gunna tell him to shove it in the new year any way,I just want to see if he can actually do this

S

Spud

what a load of nonsense tell him to get over himself and if he is any good and gives a good level of service he shouldnt be scared of competition

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
GirlRacerRed will be best one to answer this tomorrow (if she spots it). But I'm assuming if you're on his books full time he can stipulate that you can't work for yourself within 50 miles, and as long as you sign it, you can't.

It's like working for a mobile phone company, who will stipulate that you can't sell phones yourself. There will be a type of contract that would pass in court, as it were.

But whether he's drawn one up as solid as a big firm is another thing. And if you hadn't signed it, and he sacked you, there's a chance you'd have been able to take him to tribunal for it.

Seek professional advice IMO.

But it sucks. He must be worried about you if he's come up with this. lol - So fair play to you for that. :)

py rookie

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yes I'm on his books,yes I did have to sign it or he would make my life hell.so there a lot of competition,he says he's protecting what he's got,so I think if I left him he doesn't want me working on the the same site.maybe

Reply to Contract in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen