Currently reading:
Confused by trowel notch sizes.

Discuss Confused by trowel notch sizes. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

dont worry about the spec to much in this case. i use an 8mm square notch on walls and a 10mm square notch on floors these i find are adequate for most jobs, but always check coverage randomly as tiling. you will need to make sure you are achieving no less than 65% coverage on walls and 100% on floors hope this helps.

Also if its showers or wetrooms then 100% on walls as well....:thumbsup:

T

tiler burden

hi

its strange that alot of people use 10mm notched for floors, when many people claim you need a 10mm half round to achieve 100 perc coverage.

dont get me wrong, i am not critising anybody, it just gets confusing at times?

i was told 3mm for mosaics, 6mm/8mm notched for walls and 10mm radius trowel for floor tiling, and naturals on walls as well as back buttering.

makes you wonder why theres a 10mm and 12mm notched, if all of the above do the same job....

ed

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Hi ed mate..

Just to clarify this for you mate....

Larger notch trowels are used with large format tiles and un-even substrates etc...but you will need to use thick bed adhesives as well...other wise the adhesives cant cope with the bed thickness... wot i mean by thick bed adhesives is these are the type which won,t shrink or slump whilst drying....i.e. BAL PTB...etc etc....there are other makes but this is just an example...

hope this helps...:thumbsup: ..

BAL PTB (Pourable Thick Bed) Flexible
ptb_flexible.jpg

A highly polymer modified, flexible, rapid-setting, water-resistant, frost-resistant floor tile adhesive, especially suitable for fixing tiles, including fully vitrified and porcelain tiles to low porosity backgrounds and bases. Sulphate-resistant, cement-based, pourable, thick-bed solid-bed floor tile adhesive suitable for fixing ceramic tiles, quarries, natural stone and terrazzo in interior and exterior situations. Its consistency makes it particularly suitable for fixing large tiles and those with profiled backs. Back-buttering is not necessary. Suitable for use on concrete, cement:sand screeds, ceramic/quarry tile/terrazzo/hard natural stone, plywood overlay, vinyl tiles/sheet, mastic asphalt. BS EN 12004 C2F Adhesive

T

tiler burden

thanks for that dave ;0)

much appreciated as always. you can see where i am coming from with the confusion tho mate. you get so many people saying 10mm half round and even 20mm half round for larger heavy stones because they achieve 100 per etc etc, then some people say 10mm 12 mm but yet they apparently dont achieve 100 perc]

i'll stop waffling on now and go and see iif the wife is ready to give birth yet! on standby waiting for baby no 3!!!!!

cheers
ed

pps thanks to tilemandan, appreciate your advice too mate, all the best ;0)

P

Pawelzik

Hello agwill & welcome to the forums. As we have all the same technics and facing the same problems but having different national rules I show you wich notch sizes are to preferably ro be taken in Germany:
Tile lenght up to 50 mm -> Notch trowel 3x3x3 mm*
Tile length 50 - 108 mm -> Notch trowel 4x4x4 mm*
Tile length 108 - 200 mm -> Notch trowel 6x6x6 mm*
Tile length over 200 mm -> Notch trowel 8x8x8 mm*
Tile length over 300 mm -> Notch trowel 10x10x10 mm or half round 10 mm or half round 12 mm**
* As a rule
** As a recommendation
Greetings from north Germany, Martin

T

tiler burden

many thanks pawelzik,

your help is very much appreciated ;0)

ed
----
do we have any similar guides lines in the uk? or is there any bs standards literature out there that gives recommended guide lines for trowel depth / regarding tiles size?? i totally appreciate that its not the tile sixe alone that determines the trowel size but its a good guide line to go off

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pawelzik

many thanks pawelzik,

your help is very much appreciated ;0)

ed
----
do we have any similar guides lines in the uk? or is there any bs standards literature out there that gives recommended guide lines for trowel depth / regarding tiles size?? i totally appreciate that its not the tile sixe alone that determines the trowel size but its a good guide line to go off

Hello Ed. Sorry, I have checked via Google if there is any rule for the UK regarding taking which notch trowel for what. I only find recommendations and mostly refering to several different adhesives and other construction mortars.

May be it is hidden / written somewhere in the BS 5385 but I can´t find as this BS is dvided into several parts which I can´t search all resp. take a look at. I think the easiest will be to ask one of the course teachers from the training center where you have been.

D

DS Tiling

We use 15mm U notch for mid/larger floor tiles but as dave says with a PTB addy to accomodate the thicker bed. I find they give good coverage and often eliminate the requirement for back buttering and also gives more to play with if you have to level them. Downside is they eat addy and I'm sure we have lost jobs by specifying with them. Customers just want tiles looking good and cheaply laid and aren't concerned that their new floor is full of hollows where there is no addy contact but such is life.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
In my experience,if your tiling a floor the state of the floor will dictate the thickness of the serrator you use ,why use all that adhesive when it's not required?

If my memory is correct british standard's require 75% coverage(that may have changed).
As for back buttering goes if a floor or wall require's it i will not touch it,tiles are meant to be set in an even bed not built up to suit.
Back buttering creates hollow's and also create's mess.

Just to add i have never used a 15mm notch and would never use one,i have a lot of experience using porcelonsa tile's 1000mm x350mm on wall's and the spec state's to use between a 6mm and 8mm notched trowel(if memory serve's me right)

Reply to Confused by trowel notch sizes. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.