Search the forum,

Discuss Board of choice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

Sorry mate, I wasn't sure if you are a pro or just a novice asking a question.

My thread (this one) has answered and helped with choosing the the right board for different situations. As far as where you cut the line for big meterage over a large floor.. i don't know.
i wouldn't go sticking matting on floor boards though.
I haven't personally come across a job big enough to pose the question of what else to use.
But faced with a 'large' floor, floor boarded throughout would still need to be strengthened, What would you do Impish?

No worries! (I know one end of a trowel from the other by now anyway!)
I've a 70smq floor soon which is all 5" t&g boards. I plan on getting under the floor to fix extra props (if needed) and extra noggins (definitely needed).
Then it's 18mm wbp ply with millions (maybe a few less) of screws and I'll use fixed movement joints at doorways.

No worries! (I know one end of a trowel from the other by now anyway!)
I've a 70smq floor soon which is all 5" t&g boards. I plan on getting under the floor to fix extra props (if needed) and extra noggins (definitely needed).
Then it's 18mm wbp ply with millions (maybe a few less) of screws and I'll use fixed movement joints at doorways.

May I ask why Wbp instead of backer board?

O

One Day

May I ask why Wbp instead of backer board?

I want to add strength to the floor and reduce deflection.
Compare the rigidity of a 6 or even a 10mm backerboard with a same size piece of 18mm ply and it's a no-brainer.

This customer has had a failed floor in their last home and they accept that this is the belt & braces way which I will guarantee.

Smaller floors with less deflection I would generally be happy to use Wedi board as it's lighter and faster and gives a strong bond.

I don't like fixing to ply but in this case it appears to be the best option.
I'll be careful where I source the ply and I'll be filing the invoices - just in case!

I want to add strength to the floor and reduce deflection.
Compare the rigidity of a 6 or even a 10mm backerboard with a same size piece of 18mm ply and it's a no-brainer.

This customer has had a failed floor in their last home and they accept that this is the belt & braces way which I will guarantee.

Smaller floors with less deflection I would generally be happy to use Wedi board as it's lighter and faster and gives a strong bond.

I don't like fixing to ply but in this case it appears to be the best option.
I'll be careful where I source the ply and I'll be filing the invoices - just in case!

You have reminded me of a job i have done a 78m2 boarded floor. I used 18mm Birch ply. this was because all the local ply i could source was crappy far eastern ply which had layers de-laminating.

Reply to Board of choice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We are tiling our kitchen with limestone tiles - we have already done it in the hallway and are carryin on through - The Hallway was floorboards so I used No more ply and this worked fine -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays