Search the forum,

Discuss Beginner wet room assistance please! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deanspoors

Hi there, this is my first post. I don't like to start on a new forum with questions, but hopefully I can provide some answers in the near future or at least experiences after my tiling episodes.

So my query, I have a bathroom, currently 18mm chipboard floor. plasterboard walls. (unplastered). I need to make this into at least half wetroom. So far I have a 20mm wetroom shower tray and;
  • 1 litre BASF PCI Primer​
  • 4 kg BASF PCI Lastogum​
  • 5 metres flexible tape for securing all joints/connections​
  • 2 flexible internal corners​
  • 2 flexible pipe collars

bought from ebay.

I have done a lot of research and there appears to be a number of ways to waterproof and decouple, but I would like someone to come along and tell me what exactly to use.

I would prefer for the flooring to be as thin as possible. It seems like I should use 6mm tile backer board screwed down then apply Dural CI for waterproofing and decoupling.
With the walls, would it be adequate to seal between the un-plastered plasterboard with flexible tape and then lastogum to seal?

Thanks in advance for everyones opinions and experience.

Dean

B

BARRONBATHROOMS

Floor needs to be defection free.
Chipboard IMHO will not be!
Theoretically it is pointless over boarding with cement board as this adds no strength to substrate. Dural or sheet membrane (as I like to call it) is my preferred method to waterproofing a room! Wet rooms need a lot of thought and work to be successfull

D

Deanspoors

So what I need to do is take out the chipboard where the shower tray will be and create floor 20mm lower (flush with the beams) Screw the tray to this, then overboard the rest of the room with say 20mm ply and then sheet membrane the whole floor? Is this a good plan?

P

PHG

Hi Deanspoors, depending on the tray used , they can span joist width with no extra support between joists , but it is wise to support between the joists as in line out with ply to support tray deflection.

Membrane tanking is a prefered method by some as it also acts as an anti crack membrane on timber based sub-floors as well.

If you wish to discuss your install and prices and supplying you with what is required then you can ring day time on 01388-776211 , look forward to helping you get your wetroom project sorted.

Reply to Beginner wet room assistance please! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen