Discuss Bathroom Tile Crack in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm very new here and a complete housing novice so I am hoping someone may be able to help.

A crack appeared in my bathroom a few months ago. This is a new build apartment at the time when I noticed the crack I had been living there for around 1.5 years and I moved in the day the building was signed off. I have attached an image of the crack itself and a photo I have (apologies its not the clearest) of the build 'mid completion'. Any advice would be greatly appreciated of why this may have occurred.

Michelle

IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_8082.JPG

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Pretty hard to tell from those images to be honest. It could perhaps have been when the screen was mounted but thats a stab in the dark. Are there are further tiles cracked above and below?

Reaction score
The crack is coming from the bottom right hand side of the TV and I can only see as far as where the tile joins to the bath, as without taking the bath out is impossible to know for definite how far the crack goes. Unfortunately as the tiles are now discontinued, and being a university student I am financially limited to what I can do it difficult situation as I'm not sure why this has occurred. The building has a 2 year warranty period but the developer obviously doesn't want to have to pay to redo an entire bathroom because as it wasn't initially a problem when I moved in they wont take any responsibility.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
looks like (possibl) someone has fallen against the shower screen, and dragged the fittings to the right??

is the screen loose now???

total stab in the dark.

Reaction score
It is an adjoining wall, my neighbours cupboard backs onto it and they have a lateral crack, not hairline, on this wall and said that was there from their move-in.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
If it was movement from the building i'd be expecting to see a crack all the way up the wall, that's why i was querying if there was perhaps further cracking up the wall. Tiles could have also been left with no movement gap off the bath. Was tricky to see where the crack actually was from the images. just all a guess really 🤷‍♂️

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Suspect this is from movement , weight of bath water over time bearing on supporting batten fixed to wall under the bath lip. ( just a guess though).

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would say the tile is cut too tight to the metal part of the tv, hot showers, metal expands, tile cracks.

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It must be a structural issue to go through two tiles like that. Cutting around the tv would weaken the tile but not the one below. There is probably a stud down the side of the tv to fix it in and there has been some movement in it. I see floors and wall shrinking all the time. As far as repairing it, if it falls inside the warranty it's their duty to put it right. I do repairs for national builders and I've retiled loads of bathrooms as the tile has been discontinued.

Reaction score
Hey, why don't you fix the crack. The most effective thing to do is add steel reinforcing bars when the concrete slab is poured. This will prevent formation of cracks in the concrete, which lead to “reflective” cracking of the tile. Another solution is to install a crack isolation membrane on top of your existing concrete subfloor.

Reaction score
Hey, why don't you fix the crack. The most effective thing to do is add steel reinforcing bars when the concrete slab is poured. This will prevent formation of cracks in the concrete, which lead to “reflective” cracking of the tile. Another solution is to install a crack isolation membrane on top of your existing concrete subfloor.

The crack is on a wall tile, not the floor.

Reply to Bathroom Tile Crack in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks