Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Any alternatives to using Mapei Nivorapid and Mapeprim SP in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bowlegs

Evening Guys,

I'm looking to level some WBP Ply in the kitchen with some Mapai Ultraplan Renovation. In the data sheet for the product as part of the substrate prep, it specifies using "Nivorapid with Latex Plus" to seal any open joints on timber flooring then "prime with Mapeprim SP". As the joints between the sheets of ply I have laid are 3mm to allow for any expansion, are there any alternatives to using the rather expensive Nivorapid as the joints in total are around 25m in total length? Perhaps a silicone mastic? Also any thoughts on an alternative too the priming with Mapeprim.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Reaction score
All manufacturers will recommend using the same manufacturers products throughout because they only test their own products and not other manufacturers. So Mapei recommend using Mapeiprim, Ultraplan Renovation and Nivorapid with Latex Plus as a tried and tested solution to your problem. There are other manufacturers out there with excellent products that don't cost as much as Mapei - but Mapei products are very good quality and many trade tilers swear by them. My suggestion is that unless money (budget is tight) is a real issue - go with Mapei all the way (including tile adhesive, grout and silicone). Mapei also has an excellent technical support system - don't be shy of phoning them for advice.

B

bowlegs

Andy, thanks for your reply, I don't want to jeopardise the quality or finish of the job and although in the big sceme of things another £80 or so isn't that much I was just trying to establish if there was an alternative that would be compatible with the mapei products already purchased for the job (adhesive, grout and Ultraplan Renovation). If there are no viable alternatives then I'll go with the Nivorapid etc. Cheers.

T

Time's Ran Out

Surprised your using plywood over the Hardiboards as the expansion issues don't arise!

Reply to Any alternatives to using Mapei Nivorapid and Mapeprim SP in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks