Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Adheasive Advice for dry stacked stone in wet enviroment. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Pandemonium001

The Customer (wife) has requested a wet room down stairs.

house is new build so shower area stud partition walls have been reinforced, plaster replaced with green sheets, primed and tanked with mapie tape and WPS kit.

The shower is over head high flow low pressure, Tiles she has bought are dry stacked Quartzine Mozaic backed with mesh with little or no gap to grout,thats the biggest problem, they will probably be sealed with LTP Mattstone.
Area is 5m/Sq vertical

Any recomendations?
initially i thought of BAL easy poxy, which is no longer available, Mapie Kera poxy is not flexible enough. Would BAL Max Flex Fibre be O.K,

Floor:
concrete base raised with 2"x2", 18mm chip, 10mm marine ply screwed 100x100 and glued.
will be tanked using Aquadry's membrane.
Tiles 600x600 porcelain approx 5.5m/sq
Recommendations? I thought Bal Fast Flex grouted with epoxy or Mapie Keraquick with latex grouted with epoxy.

The room will hardly be used and if it will mostly for just the bath.

My prefferred Brands are BAL and Mapie

Any advise is welcome, Thanks.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
got a link for the tiles......are they the type of tiles that are only for feature walls...like split faced tiles..?

P

Pandemonium001

It wont let me post the url.
tile giant oyster split face mozaic.
and yes I know it states not suitable for direct water contact, but cant return them now.
Thats my concern with how water resistant the adheasive is.

thanks

W

White Room

As it states water resistant, water won't damage the adhesive but will allow moisture to reach the background depending how much usage the shower gets...

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
deffo wouldn't use them in a wetroom, there going to be nigh on impossible to grout and will be a breeding ground for bacteria ...

P

Pandemonium001

As it states water resistant, water won't damage the adhesive but will allow moisture to reach the background depending how much usage the shower gets...

Thanks That makes sense, water wont affect its mechanical grip, but will not be water "proof"

So I am thinking Bal Max flex fibre for walls in white 0-6mm bed
Bal single part fast flex for floor 4-10mm bed with cement grout mixed with admix GT1

any one see any issues with these?

P

Pandemonium001

deffo wouldn't use them in a wetroom, there going to be nigh on impossible to grout and will be a breeding ground for bacteria ...

Hi Andy, I know the grouting issues, thats why i was concerned about adheasive longevity.
The shower will hardly be used, twice a month at the most, its a very well heated room so i am happy any moisture will dry of fast.
Bacteria, well she can get the stone cleaner and tooth brush out! :lol:

Reaction score
Why don't we grow some, and tell the Mrs these tiles aren't going in the shower??

might sound a bit harsh, but no point fannying around..

Reply to Adheasive Advice for dry stacked stone in wet enviroment. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks