Search the forum,

Discuss yellow pages in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I have a few rules I follow with anything like this. I take all the free ads I can get (and I expect to get marketing calls that annoy me a bit - comes part and parcel though). And I only spend money on my online presence, all directing traffic to my own website(s) AND NOT A 'RATE MY TILER' TYPE LISTING.

I would NOT pay for a lead, I would NOT pay a % of the job price to any website for the job, and I would NOT pay for a listing on a website (or in the yellow pages).

I WOULD pay for a half decent website though, and then Google Adwords only really. I've been toying with Facebook ads for the last 6 months and it doesn't work anywhere near as good as Google Adwords does.

I'd pay for the local rag though and I'd keep that going. Just a small ad, but a permanent one. It can be handy for when people forget your number but always know you'll be in the rag again next week, sort of thing.

L

London tilers

Yellow pages is old hat now,I'm sure some people get something out of it but online is the way to go I've been told so I have someone working on a new site for me just now.
Word of mouth should always be top,but you need different ways to get new customers.

I always google anything I'm looking for.

I got roped into a touchlocal paid listing,never again £40 a month for nothing,12 month contract,was 2 years ago.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
sounds like its just me then :lol:....i agree yellow pages is dying a death, and the ternet is the way to go, but while im still getting work from it that exceeds my add cost , then i will continue.

last year i got a 20m2 trav bathroom from a builder, a 23m2 bathroom from a private punter that i did just before xmas, and a few other small jobs from my older clients that have never turn a computer on, they went with me because of the 30yrs experince that is stated in my add.

imo if you buy half a page then you are wasting your money, i have a small add that isn't expensive and pays for itself, and the day it dosn't is the day it will be binned.

and i wouldn't use it as my only form of advertising...

Last edited:

faceman

TF
Arms
Northampton
I purchased a heavyweight listing on Yell.com at the costly sum of £750 a year after being given all the talk. Nothing for months and then just time wasters asking for over the phone prices and would I re-grout their bathroom. After 4 months I got my first job which was a messy one. I was also bothered non-stop by their web team and hundreds of other companies. I don't have one good word to say about it. Just don't spend any money on it. Another tiler I know comes top in his area on trustatrader.com and he gets 80% of his work from there. For only £300 a year. This seems the way forward.

S

sgd tiling

Our new website designer worked for Yellow Pages and advises against as they show call rates etc and they are all just sales calls , folk trying to sell you other advertising mostly ...

they now focus on websites and again they charge a fortune for sites that rarely work. His experience whilst working there really helped though as our new site is really top notch.

he does recommend adding pictures and things to the free listing as we have also.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Our new website designer worked for Yellow Pages and advises against as they show call rates etc and they are all just sales calls , folk trying to sell you other advertising mostly ...

they now focus on websites and again they charge a fortune for sites that rarely work. His experience whilst working there really helped though as our new site is really top notch

he does recommend adding pictures and things to the free listing as we have also.

i was told you could only do that if you paid for an add through yell.com..

Reply to yellow pages in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.