Search the forum,

Discuss Who Does The Levelling?? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JB131

Thanks all for your feedback, opinions and ideas. I have an experienced tiler who is willing to take it on. His approach is not dissimilar towhat you have outlined Lee Mac. Generally was just quite surprised by the split of opinion that I was getting. I would say roughly half of those that looked agreed with LocalTiler's view. As a parting shot, when there is such a difference of opinion as a customer I lose confidence generally. But I guess people call it as they see it based on their past experiences.

Thanks again :)

S

SJPurdy

A few points to consider:
The 3mm ply needs taking up and the flooring under it inspecting - is there ventilation underneath, are the floor boards in good order and firmly fixed to a rigid joist system?
The quarry tiles on ash floor I assume to be a compressed ash bed with quarry tiles laid on top of it and fixed using gravity, something that I've tiled on a few times before (small areas) and had no callbacks/problems ( but then I have been very lucky).
Is there any damp proof membrane or insulation under any of the solid floors?
Even if the timber area is repaired/prepped properly and the solid floors are levelled up to it and then the whole floor is over-boarded with backer board, insulated backer board or wood sheets!! then there should still be a movement joint in the tiling above the wood-solid interface.

Have you considered taking out the whole miss-match of floors and replacing with a new properly damp-proofed and insulated floor slab?

Reply to Who Does The Levelling?? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen