Search the forum,

Discuss which trowel for what ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davebates

hey guys on my quest for more knowlegde again , getting a bit confused by different trowels and sized notches for which tile and which substrate as im looking towards getting my starter list together. there seems to be a lot different type trowles with different shaped nothches and sizes when would you use which one for which tiles on which substrate also is there any building regs they need to adhered to in respect to size notched trowel and thin set cheers all

Dave

C

Ceramico tiling

The less flat and smooth the substrate the larger the tile noch.This gives you more play inorder to make the tiling flat regardless of substrate.Larger tiles require larger notch sizes.When the wall is completelly wonky i just loose notches all together,

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
helo dave,it depends on tile size and type and also substrate state imo

i generally use a 6mm trowel on small ceramics if the walls are good
8mm or 10mm for larger tiles inc porcelain on walls depending how flat it is also

large formats for floors etc need back buttered so you would maybe want to solid bed these and back butter

a 4mm trowel for small thin mosaics and larger heavy stone mosaics i use a 6mm

D

davebates

no not yet im booked in for feb just trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before then

D

doug boardley

icon1.png
Re: All the questions I asked when i joined - Answered

Which trowel......

Different trowel's for different scenario's, as a guide........

Mosaics...........................4mm Notch
Kitchen Walls....................6mm Notch
Good Bathroom Walls......... 8mm Notch
Bad Bathroom Walls...........10mm Notch
Good Floors.....................10mm Notch
Reasonable Floors.............12mm Notch
Large Format Tiles............12mm Notch
Rough Floors....................13mm Notch

Dry Wall Area's................Notched Trowel
Wet Wall Area's...............Thin Solid Bed Trowel
Floors / External Area's.....Thick Solid Bed Trowel
Tiles over 300 x 300.........Large Format Trowel
Mosaics upto 100 x 100....4mm Mosaic Trowel

http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/13313-all-questions-i-asked-when-i.html

courtesy of Oli:thumbsup:

Reply to which trowel for what ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.