Discuss What's used on wood? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Who uses what on wood?

I tend to find the options are either plywood and then 2-part flex or something along the lines of fastflex which can be stuck directly to floors.

H

Harry the tiler

nope, i think fastflex only recomend T/G boards not normal boards, but personlay i wont do it..

M

Mudster

I'm with Harry on this, If the substrate has so much movement that it needs a two part adhesive then I generally question if it should be tiled at all.

Over the years I've truned down a fair few jobs due to unsuitable substrates and an unwillingness by the customer to pay to reinforce it correctly.

I do like a bit of overengineering.

M

m3 fitter

When installing on a wooden floors, we mainly use Aquapanel cement board by Knauf, adhered with rapid set and screwed with the ceramic screws provided, all joints being taped, a very structually secure substrate that allows for installation of stone, mosaic, porcelain & ceramic..

T

toots tiling

When tiling on T/G I always use solid bed tipped trowel and fast flex not had a problem yet:)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the key with fastflex. You HAVE to use the special trowel really.

D

Deleted member 15

larsen do a wooden floor fast set for tiling directly on to T & G boards havent had any probs yet

M

Mudster

I have to say I've never used any of these direct to wood products, but that's generally because I've always fitted stone or marble which needs a far more solid substrate.

D

Deleted member 15

Mudster said:
I have to say I've never used any of these direct to wood products, but that's generally because I've always fitted stone or marble which needs a far more solid substrate.

well i rarely lay ceramic, mostly marble with no problems. Its not the t&g or plywood thats the issue with marble or stone it the joists that have to take the weight

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
gaz4266 said:
well i rarely lay ceramic, mostly marble with no problems. Its not the t&g or plywood thats the issue with marble or stone it the joists that have to take the weight

You couldn't be more right!!!

The weight of those damn things. The REAL REAL problem is the carrying the stacks of marble to the area that's being tiled :D :D

Reply to What's used on wood? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay