Currently reading:
Wall to ceiling join. Decision to make.

Discuss Wall to ceiling join. Decision to make. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

blue_max

Small fully tiled bathroom (2mx1.6m). 60x30 tiles.

Got the top row of tiles to put on and facing a dilemma! What is going to be the best way of tackling please?

The ceiling is wavy! (it varies by up to a centimetre). I will probably get it skimmed at some point to level.

The dilemma:

Option 1 - find the lowest point and line all the wall up with that. Caulk the gap.
Option 2 - get each wall as high as it can go. Each wall may finish higher than its neighbour. Caulk the gap.
Option 3 - scribe each tile to the wavy ceiling as much as possible. Caulk/silicone the gap.

I know it is not ideal, but that is the situation. I replaced the ceiling and skimmed it myself and could kick myself for not getting it all level in the first place. Not a good time cash-wise to get it done beforehand. I worry that it will look odd or worse, crack if I plaster hard up to a tile.

Hope you guys can help with my decision!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I've just had a bathroom ceiling that ran out 130mm over a 2.6m length and on the stud wall at the bath end it dropped 60mm over a length of 80cm. Luckily the tiles were 300mm so I scribed in and strangely enough it didn't look too bad, whitish tiles, white grout and white ceiling so not too obvious, but definitely scribe the tiles in :thumbsup:

M

Mr Tiler

the ceiling doesnt have to be level bud, just do a point to point cut i.e, turn the tile upside down offer it up to the ceiling and mark it 3-4 mm short of the last course of tile. mark the tile at each end at each point the tile will sit. bit hard to explain would be easier to explain in person.... but if the ceilings that wavey you can mark it at both ends and in the centre of the tile. you have to scribe it twice but i do it all the time and it works a treat. hope this helps ya

B

blue_max

OK, that seems like a consensus!

Rather than start another thread, can I throw this one up too please...

I've got an offcut of Corian that I had left over from my worktops and it will just about fit over the boxed in section for the wall mounted toilet. But I'm undecided about an overhang or flush.

I was going to round the corners, but I'm thinking leaving them square and flush will look good.

Anyone care to throw their thoughts my way before I commit. Oh, and do you think tile adhesive will be good to bed it onto?

Here's a pic in case it is hard to visualise.

nb apologies for the product placement - the end of the day!

Attachments

• shelf.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 62
B

blue_max

I think the reason I'm drawn to it flush is that it looks less like a 'shelf'. In reality, it is pretty heavy, probably more like a slab of stone, so I hope it won't be moving much. 'tis a mere details though.

You should never break a rule unless you understand it. It's good to have opinions and reasons for those. Only with those ringing in your ears, can you be aware of the implications of not following that advice.

Getting opinions gives you the bigger picture. So, happy to have all views.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Just goes to show that there is no 'right' answer to a lot of these things.

Think it must be a nightmare doing it professionally if you don't have the client on-site and keep having to make your own judgements. Guess we are all wise when it is all done!

Yep you're right there. I will give my opinion to a customer but ultimately the decision is theirs. If they ask "what would I do?" I always say "It's not me who will have to walk into this bathroom for the next 10 years but you will!"

Reply to Wall to ceiling join. Decision to make. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement