Currently reading:
Value Added Tax (VAT)

Discuss Value Added Tax (VAT) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

VAT is a tax on the "consumer purchases". It replaced the old "purchase tax" system a few decades a go. If you a re not VAT registered because your turnover is too low, it would be my recommendation that you stay that way IF your primary target customer is domestic as this would make your pricing 17.5% more competative than a VAT registerd person quoting for the same job at the same rate.

If however, you are aiming at the contracting sector, it may be of benefit to actually be VAT registered as the contractors will almost certainly be so. This would enable you to claim back vat on purchases and other costs, making you margins a little higher.
----
And I believe that once you are VAT registered you lose 17.5 % on anything you make after 64k.
If your making enough to be VAt registered then well done.

If your not dont bother, more hassle than its worth.

If by Jan/Feb say you looklike your going to hit the 64k - take the rest of the financial year off lol
That bit is not exactly true GatesheadCOL, if you are VAT registered you must account for it on ALL your income, not just after £64k

Grumpy
----
Any questions about VAT? (just trying to get a few example posts started)
You will have opened a can of worms here Dan.LOL

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
E

enduro

I was vat registered, up until two years ago, you can register for vat anytime unless you go over the limit. I found i very handy working for big customers as they take you more seriously, but its a nightmare if you don't put the vat money away as you have to pay it every three months on the dot, you don't mess with these guys. when i used to go to the bank to pay in a cheque, i would work out the vat and go to building society and pay vat in there. So if you want to be a unpaid tax collector go vat registered.

G

grumpygrouter

I was vat registered, up until two years ago, you can register for vat anytime unless you go over the limit. I found i very handy working for big customers as they take you more seriously, but its a nightmare if you don't put the vat money away as you have to pay it every three months on the dot, you don't mess with these guys. when i used to go to the bank to pay in a cheque, i would work out the vat and go to building society and pay vat in there. So if you want to be a unpaid tax collector go vat registered.
Spot on Enduro.

Grumpy

Reply to Value Added Tax (VAT) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.