Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Uneven kitchen floor tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're 175x200mm Porcelain hex tiles. He laid the tiles onto no more ply cement board that was put down by our builders. The day after the tile I realised the floor isn't flat - almost every tile is not level relative to the tile next to it in random directions and quite a lot of them are wonky. There's some small steps between some tiles (1-3mm) and the grout lines vary between 3-7mm. There's also missing grout in loads of places but I assume that's easily fixed, i'm more worried about the uneveness/unflatness of the floor. From a distance it looks ok, but I can feel it's not flat when i walk on it and some of the worst steps are in high traffic areas (e.g. in front of the hob/top of the stairs).

I flagged the issues with him and he says he can fix it by taking out the worst tiles and relaying them (and already had his chisel out before we finished the conversation), but as almost every tile is uneven to some degree I'm not convinced this would fix the floor. He also said he cant make it flat because the floor he laid onto wasn't flat, but he didn't mention this before tile otherwise I could have asked our builders to fix it if there was an issue. The floor tiles that were taken out as part of the renovation were not to our taste (inherited them from the old owner) but they were very flat so i can't imagine it would be impossible to lay a flat floor.

He also tiled on top of the edge of the carpet at the top of the stairs (its a 1st floor flat and the kitchen leads to the back staircase and we tiled through to the top step) and put an L shaped trim in to cover the tile edge. We hadn't discussed this, i assumed he would just tile to the edge of the cement board and we could find a stair nosing later to cover the join. I can't imagine this is stable enough to not crack over time? I can also see the tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ between the carpet and the tiles when I walk up the stairs. I flagged this and he said it's fine/stable.

Also he made a skirting board out of the tiles on one wall (which we ask for) but there's only a tiny grout line between the floor tile and the skirting - is this ok? In the bathroom the tilers siliconed the floor/wall join instead of grouting it and i thought this was standard?

He's already taken up about 15 tiles but the ones he's put back again are worse than when he took them out as he didnt remove the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ from the floor, and he's used some sort of glue to fix them again.

I'm just wondering now if there is a particular level of flatness that should be expected from floor tiles? If he sorts out the worst of the steps but the rest of the floor is wobbly/wonky is that considered acceptable? I said i had expected the floor to be flat and he said to do that he would have had to have checked every tile - I had just assumed this was a normal part of the job?

Would anyone be able to tell me what would be considered acceptable and what I can ask to have rectified?

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
Can you post some pics please?
It would help if you have a long straight edge too (something like a 6ft level) to illustrate the unevenness.

On seeing the pics, we can provide a “fair” assessment rather than jump to tell you it’s a poor job.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how to take a picture of it to be honest. Do any of these help? I don't have a 6ft straight edge, so just used a 60cm level.

20220609_173402.jpg

20220609_173238.jpg
20220609_173314.jpg
20220605_124959.jpg
20220605_122433.jpg
20220605_131647.jpg

Reaction score
Not much the tiler can do if the floor isn't level to start with unless he uses a much bigger tile. The tiles don't appear to have lippage so I would say the prep work was poor.
As for the grout that's souly the tiler to blame

Reaction score
No that is not good enough in my opinion that lippage is excessive, the grouting is poor and the floor should have been levelled before tile. Maybe a conversation with the builder and tiler will help matters and they can discuss this with you

Reaction score
It's no good to say the subfloor wasn't level, that's the tilers job!
I've used hex tiles before and they are not "square", the grout lines need adjusting on every tile, at least the ones I used, so varying grout lines I can excuse.

Reply to Uneven kitchen floor tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock