• Thread starter penno
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 414
  • usa
Search the forum,

Discuss Undercut AGAIN in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

penno

Priced a job last night and customer was all happy, tiling a bathroom in 300 x 300 travertine, priced around the £700 mark, bloke was more than happy with the price. Told me he had another bloke coming to price but quite sure he will go with myself. Phoned me this morning saying he is going with the other bloke, he is providing materials and fitting for £330. How the hell can you compete against that? Worrying thing is that it is not just a one off, it has happened quite a few times over the last month or so. Priced a job up last week, 2 new build houses, about 90sqm in total, priced around £900 per house, obviously £1800 in total. Again bloke was happy and once again said he had one more bloke to quote but price is good. AGAIN a call next day: "other tiler is going to do it, he has priced £700" "ahh no probs i cant knock £200 per house off mate" "No he is doing both houses for £700" Undercut by £1200 Obviously some jobs someone will slightly give a lower price but these undercuts are just crazy. Similar thing has happened to be about 6 times in the last 7-8 weeks.

G

grumpygrouter

They abviously aren't paying any tax or using quality materials - 2 houses for 700 notes????????

D

david campbell

it's been the story of my life for the last few months,getting undercut left,right and centre,just keep your chin up and keep plugging away:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

I went to a barn conversion and got the job because I could get him the tiles £300 cheaper, I recognized his sample and knew it was from my supplier (hyde park tiles), the cheeky bleeder went into the shop and said he was picking up the tiles on my behalf and paid cash for them, he then asked the manager about adhesive/grout etc and got that at my prices, rang me later to say he had found someone who could do the job for £150.00 less than me, I only found out what he had done when my friend at the shop told me, I felt like phoning black eye bob and bruiser pete to nip around and have a word in his lughole
:incazzato::incazzato::incazzato:

D

doug boardley

I went to a barn conversion and got the job because I could get him the tiles £300 cheaper, I recognized his sample and knew it was from my supplier (hyde park tiles), the cheeky bleeder went into the shop and said he was picking up the tiles on my behalf and paid cash for them, he then asked the manager about adhesive/grout etc and got that at my prices, rang me later to say he had found someone who could do the job for £150.00 less than me, I only found out what he had done when my friend at the shop told me, I felt like phoning black eye bob and bruiser pete to nip around and have a word in his lughole
cheeky sod!! I'm sure we had a thread on here a while back about "customers" doing that, and I'm pretty sure it amounts to "gaining goods by deception",. black eye bob and bruiser pete eh? can you give me their number lol:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

I have an understanding with my tile shop that NO discoutn gets dished out unless they phone me to confirm i am doing the job and it is booked in..Too many cheeky gits out there..:smilewinkgrin:

M

Matt

I have an understanding with my tile shop that NO discoutn gets dished out unless they phone me to confirm i am doing the job and it is booked in..Too many cheeky gits out there..:smilewinkgrin:

That's what we do in my shop :thumbsup:

We have customers that look at our trade board, wonder round the shop and then say "So and so is doing it for me and says I can have his discount"

D

david campbell

my shops the same:thumbsup:
this is a form of identity fraud:thumbsdown:

S

smurf21

Our tile suppliers will only give discount to us tilers at time of order and will not let customers pay for them unless we ok it,

P

penno

Well the good news is that i have got back the travertine job, he did a little research and the tiler turned up this morning with tubs of Wickes gear to fit them, he threw them out. Other occasions would have told him to stick it but work is tight so i am taking the job, work is work at the moment like the customer or not :(

Reply to Undercut AGAIN in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen