Search the forum,

Discuss UFH for a new build Orangery ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lil Dee

Hi guys/gals,
I hope you don’t mind me kind of barging in on your forums, but I can see an awful lot of help and experience being shared out and I wondered if you could help me out too ?
My newly built orangery is 300 x 380cm, with bi-fold doors at the front, four large-ish windows, and a “lantern” style glass roof (with a flat roof design surround).
What I’m hoping is that you can guide me in selecting the right kit to provide me with an UFH product that works for me. My orangery has been constructed with a (I’m copying from my quote here) “traditional timber joists floor with moisture resistant tongue and groove boarding” so I won’t be installing onto a concrete base, which is what I’m struggling with, as this is what most of the advice that I've found, refers to.
I have done some reading, and I know I’ll need to put down some floor insulation (like EkoBoard) on top of the existing T&G floor. And, as I’m looking for the UFH to be my primary heat source in the orangery, I’m thinking I need to install a 160-200w system. On top, I am hoping to find a good quality laminate, with a limestone or tavertine finish (or similar) which can cope with the UFH.
I would appreciate any suggestions you can make, and anything for me to look out for. A couple of things I’d like to point out :
1. I am a complete novice. I have no idea how I put the floor insulation down....do I nail it, glue it or what !? And how do I know what depth of baord I need to buy ?
2. Is the UFH matting the best option for me, or could I cope with laying cables ? I take it that I would still need to stick the matting down with the special tape that I would for the loose wiring ?
3. I know about the Part P certification, so I know to get a pro in to do the final connection for me (I have had the electrics installed as part of the build) In the meantime, I take it there’s no reason we can’t lay everything ourselves, and check it all out if we have a multi-meter handy ?
4. What level of UFH heating do I look to go with 100/160/200w ?
5 Is there anything I’m supposed to lay on top of the UFH before I lay the laminate ?
Apologies for the loooong first post, but I’m trying to cover all bases before you all get bored of me !! I hope that you don’t mind me coming along and hassling you all like this.....
Thanks in advance *crosses fingers* LD

D

DHTiling

You won't be able to use a standard type of UFH for the laminate floor....and deffo not as high as 200w....

Uheat will able to supply a suitable UFH for under your laminate floor and give you advice over the phone on how to install it and any help you need on products to get the job done...

The ELEKTRA WoodTec ® heating mats are designed to provide heating of floors made of laminated floorboards and/or engineered wood. ELEKTRA WoodTec ® underfloor heating mats are rated at 140W/m2 and can be used as a primary or a supplementary heating system.
The ELEKTRA WoodTec ® heating mats are produced as pre-assembled installation sets with sizes of 2m2 to 13m2 and incredibly thin at 1.5mm. All ELEKTRA WoodTec® heating mats are fully earth utilising an aluminium shield covering. The 100% earthed ELEKTRA WoodTec ® heating mats can be installed in wet areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, in full compliance with electrical & building regulations.

Buy online or contact us on 01394 384077

Suitable for any room, including bathrooms, kitchens, conservatories, extensions, etc.

As approved partners of ELEKTRA, we provide full technical support with every purchase.

This video>>>> Broken Link Removed so briefly how to install it...

so give them a ring and take it from there...

Buy online or contact us on 01394 384077

Last edited by a moderator:

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll try to answer all your queries:-

1. I am a complete novice. I have no idea how I put the floor insulation down....do I nail it, glue it or what !? And how do I know what depth of baord I need to buy ?
As Dave advised, you should use a product such as our WoodTec. This would be used with an insulating underlay like Izotherm which does not need to be fixed down.
2. Is the UFH matting the best option for me, or could I cope with laying cables ? I take it that I would still need to stick the matting down with the special tape that I would for the loose wiring ?
WoodTec Mats are the answer from the products we sell which does not need to be stuck down, it is self adhesive and will stick to the Izotherm insulating underlay.
3. I know about the Part P certification, so I know to get a pro in to do the final connection for me (I have had the electrics installed as part of the build) In the meantime, I take it there’s no reason we can’t lay everything ourselves, and check it all out if we have a multi-meter handy ?
You can do everything apart from the final connections, which has to be done by a Part P reg electrician.
4. What level of UFH heating do I look to go with 100/160/200w ?
WoodTec heating mats are 140W/m2
5 Is there anything I’m supposed to lay on top of the UFH before I lay the laminate ?
On top of your wooden base floor you would lay Izotherm, then the WoodTec heatings, these woudl then be covered with a 0.2mm Polythene vapour barrier. Your laminate can then be layed directly on the vapour barrier without any further underlays. The total thickness of the Izotherm, WoodTec and Vapour Barrier is approx 7mm.

I hope I have answered all your questions sufficiently, if you require any further help please do not hesitate to contact me.

If you'd like us to prepare a quotation / proposal, please do not hesitate to email details to [email protected].

Warm Regards,

D

david campbell

being an orangery would laminate or natural stone really be a good idea,especially with the condensation dripping onto the floor? i know it is an orangery but what are you intending to grow? this is in case it falls and stains your floor! i.e citrus fruits,olives etc could be potentially damaging!

T

Time's Ran Out

Mr Campbell - I think an Orangery is just a posh name for a conservatory with a flat roof and raised central apex!
During the day it will be that hot the laminate will most likely shrink and the UFH will only go on in an evening from September through to March - unless global warming alters the seasons more.
Uheat have answered :thumbsup: so its Goodbye from me - Oh and :welcome: to the forum.

Timeless John.

L

Lil Dee

Thanks for all your replies guys ! I appreciate you taking time out to answer my numerous questions.
PJRich, I may well be knocking on your door in the not too distant future (I'm saving up for the flooring as I type), thanks so much for the pointers...
Timeless John - you're quite right - an oragnery is a posh type of conservatory !! I've fallen into the trap of having a conservatory before, and found it almost unuseable in the winter, and way too hot when we did get a decent run of weather, hence why I have gone for an orangery design this time round.
David - I'd love to grow trees in there, if there's space, so your comments are something to think on.
:hurray: for Tilers Forum - thanks for the welcome !! :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Go for REAL tiles!
I did a summer house a few years ago and the client had a grapevine growing down the back wall - not enough for a Pinot Grigio but a very interesting feature.:thumbsup:
Just as a note - IMHO I'd go for a solid floor instead of timber in an Orangery/Conservatory.

Timeless John.

Reply to UFH for a new build Orangery ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. I came across this forum searching for info so my first post. I'm renovating 1890's...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.