Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine on Stud Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Ballu102

Hi
This is my first post so forgive me if my terminology is not correct Ok so after three years completing my bathroom project, yes that was three years………..I have finally got it to the tiling stage. :hurray::hurray:
It’s a relatively small bathroom with an L Shaped bath, which has a dry lined wall along one side (Length) and a stud partition along the width. Elsewhere in the bathroom I have a stud wall (Length Bathroom) which has a vanity unit installed so tiled area will only be 3sq meters max as this wall will also have a large mirror to give the effect of more space. The end wall is again a dry-lined wall with a very small window, max coverage would be 4squre meters.
All walls have been skimmed…………………..
I was hoping to tile from floor to ceiling with Travertine Tiles, but after reading some of the other post I’m a bit worried with regards to the weight etc. on the stud walls. The last thing I need is for a 600 x 400 Travertine tile to fall off and go through the bath !!
So any advice or recommendations would be really appreciated, failing using Travertine what other tiles would you recommend that would give a similar effect but not as heavy, as I have now tiled the bath panel and vanity worktop in Brick Mosaic Travertine tiles.

Many Thanks in Advance
Ivor

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
your right to be worried about the weight , you cant use that size trav on skimmed walls, you need to way up your options if you want trav ,you will need a replace the walls with hardi backer or something equivalent , or you could opt for a marble effect ceramic tile,weight for skimmed walls is about 20 kg per m2

G

grumpygrouter

Skimming the walls has reduced the safe load you can fix to them. Trav is too heavy in this case. If you really want stone then i'm afraid, as previously stated, you need to re-board the walls appropriately.

W

wetdec

As Scottley says remove and replace or you could just overboard with 12.5mm and work off them...........

P

paul flight

take the plaster board off it will not hold the trav. use wedi board 12mm screwed with wedi washers it made fo this job ! :thumbsup:

Reply to Travertine on Stud Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen