Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine external corners and window recess. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bendy

Good morning all,

I'm about to start fitting 600 x 400 travertine wall tiles next week in my bathroom and am a little unsure as to the best way to go round external corner and also install the edging for the window recess.

The common ways seem to be either Mitre or Butt join the tiles or to bullnose a radius onto them.

I just wanted to know what you think is best and if you could post any pictures of examples. The picture i've looked at on the forum tend to show the whole room, so i can't see the detail for corners or recesses.

I was looking at geting a 3/16" profiling tool and bull nosing but the delivery time can be upto two weeks and i can't hold off that long. Another option would be to machine radius them by hand with diamond grit disks but i can't seem to find anywhere that does the disks.

Many thanks

Ben.

I

Ian

Bullnosing is the best finish IMO, here's a close up pic of a window reveal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331809307.374948.jpg

10mm profile with mitred internal corners.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

B

bendy

Thanks for the prompt reply Bri.

That looks stunning. Do you set the wall tile first or the recess tile or do you line then up at the same time?

T

Topshop

If the travertine is honed and not polished you can put the bullnose or bevel the edge by hand with some sand paper. Travertine is a soft stone. Affix the sand paper to a board or sanding block to keep the line straight. If the travertine is polished you can do the same method but finish it off at a higher grit them some marble polishing paste or 5x powder.

B

bendy

If the travertine is honed and not polished you can put the bullnose or bevel the edge by hand with some sand paper. Travertine is a soft stone. Affix the sand paper to a board or sanding block to keep the line straight. If the travertine is polished you can do the same method but finish it off at a higher grit them some marble polishing paste or 5x powder.

The tiles are Honed, not polished. I imagine grit size would be 60-80 but would you use just normal sandpaper or a diamond type?

I have a variable speed polishing tool with velcro backer disc so are there discs available for this?

I

Ian

Thanks for the prompt reply Bri.

That looks stunning. Do you set the wall tile first or the recess tile or do you line then up at the same time?

Wall first, then profile the tiles for the reveal, then cut them to size, then fit.

The tiles are Honed, not polished. I imagine grit size would be 60-80 but would you use just normal sandpaper or a diamond type?

I have a variable speed polishing tool with velcro backer disc so are there discs available for this?

Pads are available, you will need a router bit to get the profile that I pictured, the pads are then used to smooth the tile back to the honed finish of the face of the tile. All my equipment came from Stonetools

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bendy

Thanks for all the advice.

I have contacted Stonetools, who were very helpful and have ordered silicon carbide pads in 80 & 220 grit, along with the required backing disc.

I know it will take a little longer than a cutter but i do grinding/profiling with steel at work so shouldn't be too difficult.

Reply to Travertine external corners and window recess. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen