Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Travertine edging in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bigmal

Hi guys
Hope you don't mind a DIY type invading your very professional forum!

Done various jobs over the years for myself and mates, and always been pleased with the results. Only use a cheapo electric wet cutter, but seems to do the job.

In process of rennovating bathroom - plaster was dodgy, so that's all off. Plan to fix HardiBacker to timber studs, but a mate is going to replaster one internal (brick) wall traditionally.

I would like to step up a notch and go for Travertine... so my question is about the cut edges, eg the return into the window recess. I would normally use plastic/metal edging trim, but I'm guessing this would ruin the effect of the Travertine. What do you pro's do? Leave a bare edge (perhaps sanded???) and just overlap the corner joint?

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Thanks

Big Mal

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to tilersforums.com | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum!

Hello bigmal, welcome aboard www.tilersforums.com. Stick around, I'm sure you'll like the place. :)

D

Deleted member 9966

:welcome: bigmal

DIYer's are always welcome. that how I found my way here :thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

Welcome big mal, have a look at this, it tells you that you might have to reconsider plastering that wall. Tiles and Adhesive Weight Per Square Metre - THE TILE SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bfast tiler

it is always more authentic when the travertine is overlapped and a gap left to coincide with the same size as the joint size...normally 3mm put the cut edge into the window reveal & clean edge exposed.

T

Time's Ran Out

it is always more authentic when the travertine is overlapped and a gap left to coincide with the same size as the joint size...normally 3mm put the cut edge into the window reveal & clean edge exposed.

This edge always looks a professional finish if you round,fill and polish it.
:welcome:

B

bfast tiler

This edge always looks a professional finish if you round,fill and polish it.
:welcome:
that is the way i would do it t.j i was offering a d.i.y-er a d.i.y approach there is a bit of experience needed to polish.......and b&q dont do the disc's for soft stone if its a clean edge then a sealer will also give an almost desired affect.

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome...

You can finish the edges with various grit sanding pads to a nice enough result and slight chamfer to remove the sharp arras edge.

But if you like you can also buy some diamond hand pads designed just for this type of edge finishing.

Montolit Diamond pad set

Diamond hand pads for smoothing the edges of any type of:

- Marble
- Granite
- Porcelain
- Stoneware
- Ceramics

Blue = Medium grit
Red = Fine grit

Can be used wet or dry

Tradetiler tilers Files & Rubbing Blocks

I like to try and gett he edges as close a finish tot eh tile surface be it honed or polished and if customer requires it then i also bull nose the edge but for a DIY job then those hand pads will make light work.

Reaction score
If you really want a bullnosed edge, you could cut the tiles to size and take them to a local marbleworks - They'd have the relevant tools to stick a bullnose on for you:thumbsup: or even a headstone maker:yikes::thumbsup:

B

bigmal

Thanks everyone for excellent advice so far!

I might have to rethink based on the weight... but the Travertine really does look the dog's wotsits - and is a pretty good price compared to many "manmades'

cheers

D

doug boardley

Hi Mal, if you're going down the traditional plaster route on one wall, use sand and cement render and leave it unskimmed. Don't let your plasterer use a gypsum basecoat as this is unsuitable to tile onto. Another solution would be to dot and dab 12.5mm plasterboard on your wall (I'm assuming it's a masonry wall), and again, leave unskimmed:thumbsup:

Reply to Travertine edging in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks