Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling the ceiling in a shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

crippo2

I want to fully tile my new shower, including the ceiling. I have Marble tiles, 406mm square and 15mm thick. The shower structure is timber frame, covered with Aquapanel, screwed at recommended distances. the roof to the shower is similarly covered and is fully capable of supporting the weight of all the 12 tiles I would need to install.

I have spoken to both the BAL technical help line and to the tile supplier. For obvious reasons (legal) neither is willing to recommend tiling a shower ceiling, unless the tiles are mechanically locked (presumably by screwing?) to the structure above them.

However I have seen tiled shower ceilings as well as large slabs of ornamental Marble apparantly suspended from structure without mechanical support.

any thoughts/hints/tips? on methods and materials - presumably an industrial strength adhesive is a good starting point?

thanks in advance

G

grumpygrouter

I want to fully tile my new shower, including the ceiling. I have Marble tiles, 406mm square and 15mm thick. The shower structure is timber frame, covered with Aquapanel, screwed at recommended distances. the roof to the shower is similarly covered and is fully capable of supporting the weight of all the 12 tiles I would need to install.

I have spoken to both the BAL technical help line and to the tile supplier. For obvious reasons (legal) neither is willing to recommend tiling a shower ceiling, unless the tiles are mechanically locked (presumably by screwing?) to the structure above them.

However I have seen tiled shower ceilings as well as large slabs of ornamental Marble apparantly suspended from structure without mechanical support.

any thoughts/hints/tips? on methods and materials - presumably an industrial strength adhesive is a good starting point?

thanks in advance
APPARANTLY may well be the operative word. You may well find they were mechanically fixed but you couldn't see the fixing.

D

Deleted member 1779

This is my ceiling.... With a spotlight and extract fan. I believe the ceiling should not be the focus of any attention.

plasterboard.jpg

Also plasterboard is a doddle to fit and skim, plus its easy to cut holes in for putting in the lighting and fans.

If I were ever to do anything fancy with the ceiling it would be to have them strobe lights that make it look like stars at night.

But not tiles on a celing... Mind you if you fancy a chuckle there is a post about putting a mirror on a ceiling after someone saw it on film Basic Instinct. Thread has a lot of the same fixing advice as for tiles but with some obvious inuendo.

Reply to Tiling the ceiling in a shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.