Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling floors on new builds. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

gordonbell20

I am buying a new home and would like to know if it is usual on new builds to tile the whole floor in the kitchen and bathroom before installing bath, units etc. I suspect the answer is that is usual but would appreciate confirmation of this.
Thanks

D

diamondtiling

Welcome to the forums Gordon :thumbsup:

My preference is always tile the floors and then fit the kitchen/bathroom etc, at least then if you change your mind at a later date and have a different kitchen fitted you dont have to follow the old one that has tiles missing beneath it.

:thumbsup:

A

albyshellshear

its a matter of prefrance i would fit the bath then tile before fitting toilet and basin, in the kitchen i would tile just under were you are fitting the units so when you put the kickboards on it looks a lot tidier, however if thats not possible tile up to kickboards your choice,tiling under the likes of washing machines and fridges up to the wall.however you do it happy tiling.:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

The reason behind fitting the tiles first in a bathroom is purely for any leaks that may occur in the future. If no tiles are under the bath then the floor soaks everything up and that can damage laid tiles. If its tiled at least the water cannot penetrate and you know you have a drip leak much quicker.

:thumbsup:

W

wetdec

I am buying a new home and would like to know if it is usual on new builds to tile the whole floor in the kitchen and bathroom before installing bath, units etc. I suspect the answer is that is usual but would appreciate confirmation of this.
Thanks

If you mean is it usual to buy a house with whole floors tiled then no its not, most big developers tile to the perimiter of baths and kitchen units it saves them money..........

D

david campbell

i prefer tile before the toilet and sink are fitted,it leaves a tidier job without all the cutting:thumbsup:

O

Olz

No, its the norm for new builds to actually come with no floor coverings at all, you usually have to either negotiate floor coverings when you buy, or pay for them, the norm certainly with the companies I've had dealings with is if floor coverings are included, you will be looking at carpets and lino.

Some of the smaller building companies will put in tiled floors.

You will generally find half height tiles around the bath area's and tiling in the shower area walls.

D

doug boardley

it all depens on the housebuilder too, the higher end of the market will very often tile the floors, but usually upto the bath and then sit the toilet and basin on installed tiles. Kitchens are usually fitted and then floor tiled to just underneath the kickboards, altho my preference would be to tile the whole floor so that you're not stuck with the same kitchen layout if you decide to change your units/appliances in the future:thumbsup:

L

LM Ceramics

not really most new house builders will only include basic wall tiling the floors are usually an extra but like doug says the high end house builders will include floors

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Personal preference really. However one tip if you are tiling to anhydrite in a new build and they don't want to tile under units etc. Use an Epoxy DPM under the units and extend it about 12" into the underside of the tile face. This is to prevent water from getting into the screed if there is a leak and tracking under the tiles.It will help to prevent the tiles from delaminating due to moisture issues. DPM only a few punds persqure meter but can save massive hassles for you and the client - and of course me- in the long run.

W

White Room

when I done site work the kitchens and baths were all fitted before any tiling was laid

Reaction score
Hi, I spent a few years tiling for a developer in the higher end housing (£400k+) It was normal practise to tile the entire kitchen/dining floor prior to the units being installed. The kitchen fitter then did his bit and I went back for the splashbacks. As for the bathrooms, only the bath was fitted before I went in.

Reply to Tiling floors on new builds. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks