Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling boxed bath frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pr1970

Hi All

I`m installing a bath into a tiled frame , similar to this
broken link removed

Any suggestions on what materials to use..
I`m thinking in using 38x89mm timber to frame all around the bath. Then use backer board for the front panel. The other sides of the bath are against walls. SHould backer board be used on the top of the frame too, to protect the wood frame from any water penetration? Would a coating of PVA surfice.

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Can't comment on the construction of the frame as I have never done it. backerbord is ideal for bath panels being impervious to water. PVA is NOT waterproof and would not do what you want it to do.

If you can fit the backerboard to the top of the frame you build then do so and seal the joints as per the board manufacturers recommendations.

You will, no doubt get more indepth and better advice for the more experienced guys shortly.

T

TilingLogistics

Water penetration should be fairly minimal in a bath like that so I would not worry about the amount of water seeping through the grout because it is going to be minimal. In any case you should forget PVA in the tiling world. PVA spells trouble get used to using APD Primer from BAL or similar. The first thing is the accurate construction of the frame. I personally would take one of two options. I would either get a chippy to construct the frame or construct one myself from Wedi. I am not a competent enough chippy to produce my own out of wood so wedi would be my route.:thumbsup:

Good Luck

Kev

D

DS Tiling

Building the frame can be straight forward enough but can be time consuming. Backer board is a prefered option to ply. Make sure you add sufficient dwangs to keep the frame rigid and make sure there is support where the backer boards join. Most cement boards do not require priming before tiling.

Reply to Tiling boxed bath frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen