Discuss Tiling bottom half of wall in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Grazza

-
Reaction score
So none of this makes sense.

I am told I need to board my freshly plastered walls (6weeks old) because I cant put poreclain on primed plaster.

Top half is painted, bottom half would have 6 or 10mm backer board PLUS 10mm tile and 3mm adhesive = 19 to 23 mm depth from the painted top half of the wall.

So if this is normal, how come that there is no tile trim to cover the extra thickness?

Thoughts anyone?

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Hi Grazza

No one is saying you can't do it, ultimately you can do what you want.

Manufacturers need to cover themselves by spelling out the capabilities and limitations of their products, so that if the install fails because for example you exceed the recommended weights limits they do not become liable.

As professional installers we have to advise people in accordance with the manufacturers instructions otherwise any failures then become our problem.

How much do the tiles weigh per M2?

Seems like it was bad planning unfortunately, should of boarded the wall with mechanical fixings.

Some options are-

1) Go for it, if it fails be prepared to pay to put it right.

2) Change the tiles (probably the easiest option).

3) As you said, board the bottom half of the wall, use the correct size trim and fill or caulk the gap, paint the same colour as the wall so that it blends in.

4) Board the whole wall using mechanical fixing into block, tile bottom half and replaster top half.

Grazza

-
Reaction score
Hi Again Trigger,
Thank you so much for your time :)

They are 24kg - although I weighed them on the scales to be 22kg so maybe my new scales are off?
Either way with adhesive and grout will be pushing 28kg.

I knew the limits of plasterboard and backer already, I just didnt think to look into multifinish as I just figured it was a rock solid brick wall. Oh well :(

Thanks for the options. I hadnt considered (4) but what a shame to cover solid wall with board.

I cant take the tiles back - too late for that.

I also found a very expensive Italian product called Rai-fix - very expensive bit it would transfer the weight onto the blocks not the palster:

Reaction score
“So if this is normal, how come that there is no tile trim to cover the extra thickness?”

Because a professional plans their work so that this situation does not occur.

Reply to Tiling bottom half of wall in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks