Currently reading:
tiling a bath panel

Discuss tiling a bath panel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sean fsy

Minshaw.jpg

RickyAldalcioParton16.jpg

DSCN8689.jpg

P

peckers

where is best to buy the no more ply or wbp from cheers
WBP is ply its an exterior grade ply! You can use this ply for your bath panel 18mm as someone above has mentioned, put in enough noggings so as it doesent flex when you push on it!
I would apply acrylic sealer to the back and edges before screwing it back to the noggings and then to the face prior to tiling. you can then tile this useing a single part flexible adhesive!
if you use tile backer board such as hardi, or no more ply then you can get this from your local tile suppliers outlet if they stock it! you will still have to put in frame work and noggings to screw this back too but it is better as it is water proof. :thumbsup:

S

simhopper

I've not experienced anywhere near that difference in price. I agree that the frame requires sufficient batons, but when you have formed an access panel it doesn't take much more effort to add a couple more batons to eliminate flex.

Hardi, Wedi, Kerdi or any other tile backer board will be better than ply as long as the frame is structured well.

Hardibacker £7.50 a sheet+vat, 2 required

Wedi bathboard £55+vat for 1800x800

Foam board or cement board?No brainer really

Used to be a big fan of Wedi but the price is too high and there are far superior products out there

D

Daz

Hardibacker £7.50 a sheet+vat, 2 required

Wedi bathboard £55+vat for 1800x800

Foam board or cement board?No brainer really

Used to be a big fan of Wedi but the price is too high and there are far superior products out there

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Hardi is £7.50+vat but that is for the 6mm boards, not the 12mm. The 6mm boards are no good for panels only for overboarding a floor.
You can get 10mm Wedi (BA10 - 2500 x 600) approx £23+vat from CTD.
I agree it will be slightly more expensive than the Hardi but not vastly different.

The Wedi is cement lined fibreboard, so pretty strong too.

Last edited by a moderator:

aflemi

TF
Arms
I've not experienced anywhere near that difference in price. I agree that the frame requires sufficient batons, but when you have formed an access panel it doesn't take much more effort to add a couple more batons to eliminate flex.

Hardi, Wedi, Kerdi or any other tile backer board will be better than ply as long as the frame is structured well.
Captain, how do you go about forming the panel support? I have my way but always looking for alternative/easier methods.
I make a frame including vertical supports with 2x2 which I screw to wall and floor. I generally use 500 hardi (hadn't thought about Wedi but would be much lighter and easier to cut...). For access I usually cut a gap maybe 20-30mm smaller than a tile in the bottom row and just use silicon to hold the tile in place. plusses and minuses with any access as it's virtually impossible to do it invisibly.

aflemi

TF
Arms
bath panels can be created loads of ways....

wedi,hardi,ply, plasterboard (tanked), this one was created with ply over 2x2 carcuss:

Broken Link Removed

note the 4 little screw caps.....other ways can make them invisible!...unless brickbond....then you are stuffed!

Can't open that mate................:mad2:

B

bootsmckiber

Don't even mess around second guessing yourself,use the right stuff and it won't come back to bite you in the backside,I'm sure any reputable tile supply store would steer you right,here in Canada I always use Hardi-board in the bathrooms then waterproof it with "Red Guard" or Mapei's "Maplastic HPG"haven't had a bathroom callback in 27 years,don't skimp on materials and your job should outlast you,good luck,Mike:welcome:

S

simhopper

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Hardi is £7.50+vat but that is for the 6mm boards, not the 12mm. The 6mm boards are no good for panels only for overboarding a floor.
You can get 10mm Wedi (BA10 - 2500 x 600) approx £23+vat from CTD.
I agree it will be slightly more expensive than the Hardi but not vastly different.

The Wedi is cement lined fibreboard, so pretty strong too.

I pay £7.50+vat for 12mm, £9.75 +vat fot 6mm

Can you bend 12mm Hardibacker?It will snap before it bends, Wedi will bend easily.We use 12mm Hardibacker as a facing panel on wall hung wc pans, spacing is 550mm between timber and there is no movement when the bolts are tightened....Could a wedi board do this?

B

bootsmckiber

I wouldn't call it over engineering I'd call it doing the job right,they have certain materials for certain jobs and there's a reason for that.I don't know about England but over in the colonies we have a thing called "building code"and it is regulated,if the proper material isn't used in certain places,then it's getting ripped out and replaced at your expense ,I don't see what the bother is anyways,people looking for the cheap way out,the customer pays for the material,get the right stuf fand you won't be going back with your tail between your legs six months later,cheersMike

Reply to tiling a bath panel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall. I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.