Search the forum,

Discuss Tiler mistakes - Advice required in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Laurenmac

I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done. I asked him for a price and I remember I asked in square metres. Now the jobs done he said that price is in yards. Can anyone tell me if that’s common or if he’s trying to squeeze more out of us. He is also trying to say that it’s extra to lay large tiles 60x120 ( only mentioned after fitting) and bathroom small tiles. We still felt like he over priced with all this included. So measured ourselves and was quite abit more. He’s now saying tilers measure through the walls. I have never heard of this before and want to check if any of this is correct or if he’s just trying it on to get paid more. The work is fine and we are happy with that just seems like extra keep getting added to the bill

Reaction score
Yes it’s true that either very large or very small tiles cost more to lay- so he’s correct there.
However it all depends on what was agreed in the first place. If you told him it would be 600 x 300 and he priced for that- and then you changed it to 1200 x 600 then yes the price would go up. However I would expect this to be discussed at the time rather than sprung on you at the end.
If you’re happy with the job you should pay up - no figures have been given so I don’t know if the extra cost is reasonable or not- but you should definitely be prepared to pay more if you changed the spec.

Reaction score
Yes it’s true that either very large or very small tiles cost more to lay- so he’s correct there.
However it all depends on what was agreed in the first place. If you told him it would be 600 x 300 and he priced for that- and then you changed it to 1200 x 600 then yes the price would go up. However I would expect this to be discussed at the time rather than sprung on you at the end.
If you’re happy with the job you should pay up - no figures have been given so I don’t know if the extra cost is reasonable or not- but you should definitely be prepared to pay more if you changed the spec.
I would second this, although I’d say the majority of tilers now price in meters. Most of the people old enough to price in yards that I ever worked with would probably be retired now.

Reply to Tiler mistakes - Advice required in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen