Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss tile supplier in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
went to pick some tiles up this morn, that a customer had ordered 460 x320
ceramic wall tiles ,when i got there sales man tried to sell me tubbed addy , wait a mo have you seen the size of the tiles, thats no good for these , i explained why so he gave me a price for powdered addy , which i thought was to dear . my point his had the customer being doing the job him self , he would,nt have known any better and just carried on regardless :thumbsdown:

A

Abstract tiling

i had something similar rob but the customer bought the addy it was evo stick i explained that they needed powder which i had at home. and to top it of the tile shop charged them 16 pound per tub ridiculous.

M

mikethetile

ive had the same, and they insist that its ok for the tiles, they also try to make out your being unreasonable

I think there must be an incentive from the sales reps they way they push tub at every oppurtunity

D

doug boardley

deffo lack of education imo, also they'll sell the tubbed stuff at full retail price to Joe Public:thumbsdown:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Get it all the time, "the guy in the shop said it would be OK":mad2:

D

diamondtiling

My mate has a shop and just will not stop selling tubbed adhesive to his customers, it does not matter how many times I point it out, he thinks I am picky and over reacting. It does not help that his business partner is a 'tiler' who uses tubbed for everything, even building out walls.

One day when a tile falls off a wall onto a customer in the bath or maybe a child he might start taking me seriously.

:prrr:

S

Scott

My mate has a shop and just will not stop selling tubbed adhesive to his customers, it does not matter how many times I point it out, he thinks I am picky and over reacting. It does not help that his business partner is a 'tiler' who uses tubbed for everything, even building out walls.

One day when a tile falls off a wall onto a customer in the bath or maybe a child he might start taking me seriously.

:prrr:

Trouble is Dom if it hasnt yet, it only reinforces the problem.

There was someone on here the other day who said stick up 600x300 with it and pva the painted walls. And that was from a tiler!

Im quite lucky as the sales guy in Tile Giant in Milton Keynes knows his stuff as do my other suppliers as they are also contract tilers

C

cass

That was a guy i know i know him from a close freind my freind asked me if maybe i could sort him out with a reasnable price i said ok went to look at job knew the risks and thought it a good idea to check with you guys first,I told him that he would have to pick snaller tiles or make sure the walls were prepared the proper way so they could hold weight.The plumber and joiner got another tiler round to have a look this tiler has been tilin for years and told him i was talking rubbish and that it would be ok to fit 600by 300 porcalain tiles on painted walls,the guy i knew went with the other tiler as i have only been tiling 3 years,the tiler is charging him nearly twice what i had asked for,thats what i get for trying to do somone a favour,oh and he said he's been using pva for years and never had a problem yet,i felt like phoning this guy and giving him a a good peice of my mind but whats the point of letting these people annoy you lifes to short.

D

diamondtiling

In the shop today, tried to explain about sealing polished porcelain, he was having none of it.
Tried again to get him to understand the dangers of ready mixed but to no avail, one day something bad is going to happen and he might be liable.
His argument is that once the tiles are bought then its nothing to do with the shop, the fitting is out of his hands in other words. He says quite rightly that other shops do not push bagged adhesive so he would lose customers if he did, my argument is that if he tried to educate his customers about the right adhesive for the right installation then it will pay dividends for him in the long run and people will come back time and time again and recommend his shop to others.
Tanking is another issue, he says I moan that he does not push it for bathrooms yet its an integral part of the specification.
Should I leave him alone or keep trying to help him with his poor technical knowledge.
He is a good friend and I would hate to see him being sued.

:mad2:

W

White Room

In the shop today, tried to explain about sealing polished porcelain, he was having none of it.

Was having a conversation with a tiler of 30 years, he was having problems grouting polished porcelain, took him ages to clean up and I mentioned sealing them.

He also was having none of it:thumbsdown:

Reply to tile supplier in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks