Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Threshold Transition Profiles - Advice Please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

rawdon51

Hi All,

Have had our hallway tiled, which leads off onto several other rooms that are a combination of wooden laminate & carpet covering.

This has expectedly resulted in a few different threshold challenges to be overcome. First, the tiling finishes at a different height to the other floor coverings, so we obviously need some sort of transition strips. Second, and a bit more challenging maybe (?) the tiled surface on one of the joins (to the laminate) also lays at a slight angle....i.e. the laminate and tile surfaces are not horizontally parallel.

Ideally as we have a lot of white oak features (doors, staircase etc.) and white oak effect laminate, we'd like transition profiles to match.

Has anyone come across this type of challenge? Does anyone have any links to companies online selling maybe bespoke profiles of some kind, or is a local joiners the best bet?

Thanks. Jon.

J

john32145

if you go back to where you got your laminate flooring they should have them to match:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Hi Jon,

I usually am dissatisfied with the stock offerings for thresholds, especially because we usually work in old houses with unusual requirements for transitions. Because you have several to do, your best bet might be to hire a trim carpenter or woodworker to fabricate what you need and install them for you.I'm set up with a table saw, jointer, planer, etc, so we make our own. I also make for them homeowners that need them for their DIY projects.

Nothing bugs me more the end of a job to have to use something that doesn't work...having just the "right" threshold in place really finishes things off right!:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rawdon51

John & Rob,

Thanks for your replies. Rob, I agree with you but was I guess looking for that old chestnut.....the exact right thing for no money! I have some of the matching profile (uniclic 950, so not hard to match to the laminate at least....), and though it's good stuff, as you say, it's just not right (not quite deep enough etc.).

Will look up local woodworkers.

Thanks again. Jon.

R

Rob Z

Jon, I keep hoping I can find the tools I want without having to pay so much for them. I've learned that all the stuff I like is expensive,and for some reason I just gravitate toward it. :mad2:

Oh well, that's the way it goes. :smilewinkgrin:

P

Perry

Hi Jon i make my own as well any competent Carpenter should be able the make them for you at not a great cost i tend to make the the same size as the door and slope them if they need it so the door bar cant be seen when the door is closed :pete

Reply to Threshold Transition Profiles - Advice Please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks