Search the forum,

Discuss Tester project pic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DIYwoman

Hi all,

Its been awhile since I posted. Finished my porch sometime ago but didn't get round to taking a picture. Here it is. I know, I know! the gap between the tiles are a tad too much but this is what was suggested by the Toppe Tiles guy. I was left with a 4.5cm gap and had to spread this.
I haven't cleaned the grout properly - you only notice it when the ground is dry so now I must spend time scraping off the bits that have dried on forever!
Anyway, I can now move on to tiling the toilet - a small room but many challenges and I certainly will be back with a host of questions.
In the meantime, I brace myself for your comments - I am thick skinned enough to handle the most negative!
cheers!

Attachments

• porch.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 153
D

doit4u

Well done for having a go. Bit difficult to give a verdict on the result when as you say there is still grout on the tiles. You said you had to spread the gap, presumably across the narrow section of the porch that has the smaller edge tiles. It would have probably looked better if you had tried to achieve the same gap between the large tiles on the longer run.

D

DIYwoman

Your right. It would have looked more balanced if I had done it along the length. Also, the lines do look wobbly and thats because everytime I wiped the grout, it kept leaking out and eventually I gave up and now it has set over the tiles. Might have to go to work with a chisel as it has been a while.
cheers

U

user123

Hi all,

I haven't cleaned the grout properly - you only notice it when the ground is dry so now I must spend time scraping off the bits that have dried on forever!

Hi, diy woman well done!, never as easy as it sounds is it.
As to cleaning the bits of grout, get yourself a bottle of LTP grout stain remover (cement, limescale and efflorescence remover, as it says on the bottle) and follow the instructions which are very straightforward. I have used this lots and you'll find it easy. Chisel? no don't go there...

Good luck with the toilet, helps if you are a contortionist, but just keep picturing the final end result and it will get you there, vision is everything.....

:christmaswindow:

And if you find you really enjoy tiling, why not go to a course to learn it all the much easier way straight from the experts? You never knwo where it may lead...People go on cooking and allsorts of hobby courses just because they want to improve their skills in something they enjoy doing, tiling courses can have that place, too, I loved every minute of mine...:2thumbsup:

D

DIYwoman

Hey, Mosaic girl, you are the culprit getting people to do courses!:santa_cheesy:The husband would divorse me as I am already neglecting the domestic chores and spending my time tinkering with details sanders and scewdrivers. He is disappointed that I have put power tools on my xmas list instead of lace underwear and killer heels! (personally, I am the trainers and rucksack type!).

After the bathroom, I wonder if I would need to tile again. I will be moving to the outside painting and might have to abandon you guys and join a builders forum!

Thank you for the suggestion re grout remover. Xmas list?! I'll certainly need it for my next project as well.
And tell me, since your course have you done much tiling? I am certainly going on a electrics and plumbing course. Let me know if there is good basic one around.
cheers!

G

garretridge

well done i wish my wife would tile are house leave me more time to earn some money best of luck !:santa_cheesy:

U

user123

I am already neglecting the domestic chores and spending my time tinkering with details sanders and scewdrivers. He is disappointed that I have put power tools on my xmas list instead of lace underwear and killer heels! (personally, I am the trainers and rucksack type!).

Thank you for the suggestion re grout remover. Xmas list?! I'll certainly need it for my next project as well.
And tell me, since your course have you done much tiling? I am certainly going on a electrics and plumbing course. Let me know if there is good basic one around.
cheers!

Hey, Diy woman,

as to husband, christmas lists and trainers - SNAP SNAP SNAP! Went shopping with hubby in Topps Tiles yesterday where I now have a trade account, oh yummy a bag full of goody tools for Christmas, with my man not knowing whether to laugh or shake his head, but proud of his somewhat unusual woman!

As to how much tiling I have done since, well it's just beginning - I have been given a small kitchen job with feature (perfect!!) for February, and am just starting an extremely ambitious art mosaic and tiling combination project in our own ensuite, where everything has to be ripped out, basin moved etc, no idea what's behind the walls yet..but have started the mosaic work and can hardly sleep with the excitement of it, seeing the finished picture in my mind in detail already, so I'm having a ball! (Pictures of before and after will be posted when it's done, or half way through as well, don't know yet.)

Went into Topps Tiles and was so chuffed recognising the products, understanding what I need and don't now and in future and the staff there were so enthusiastic about a woman tiler offering something unusual as well they want me to put cards and leaflets on their reception top, so that was really good, kind of jumping up and down about it all.

As to plumbing and electrician course, know nothing about the latter and only of the bathroom plumbing course in South Shields which will be too far for you I imagine. Oh, but good luck to you, doing up your place is just so satisfying isn't it? And tools, well you can't have enough of them, can you...yummy things making dreams possible...

Keep in touch!

:merrychristmas:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tester project pic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen