Search the forum,

Discuss tanking straight onto bond coat in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Apologies if this is duplicated, site navigation problems............
I have a plasterer doing my bathroom, in the shower area I intend to tank it. Can I apply tanking straight onto bonding coat or do I need him to appy a skim over the bond before I tank it? walls are solid ie not plasterboard or dot'n'dab. thanks help

G

grumpygrouter

Bonding coats are not suitable for tiling onto so I would say yes you need to have the finish coat. Bonding is really absorbant I believe so your tanking may not be successful without the finish skim.

W

White Room

Put a finish on it, the bonding coat can be course and you may have trouble filling the surface

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Great thanks, I thought that was best. How long approx should I leave the plaster to dry before tanking, it will be a pretty thin coat.....

G

grumpygrouter

If you have had the whole thing done with a new base coat then tiling will need to be delayed for sometime, up to a month depending on thickness of plaster.

lucius

TF
Reaction score
Why did he use bonding, hardwall would have been better i know it is being tanked but i dont like bonding in any wet situation it just seems to attract moisture from the air and stay damp.
Andy

D

davy_G

Is it bonding or scratch coat?

Ive tiled over scratch coat many times and tanked onto it.

Why would they bond a shower area? Usually over here they only bond ceilings.

Reply to tanking straight onto bond coat in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen