Currently reading:
swimming pool

Discuss swimming pool in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

obobsmith

Don't know much about swimming pools though I have spent many hours at the bottom of full ones ( the gills help:lol:), but there are some really massive 30-40k gallons and over Koi ponds which are way over engineered using hollow block backfilled and steel etc etc and then tanked using fiberglass, none of which incorporate expansion joints. They don't leak in general and if they do its usually because of pipework in the filterhouse
Given the pressure excerted by the water ( 1 bar per 10m depth + 1 bar surface/atmospheric) I would think an expansion joint may well be a very considerable weak point.
But then I'm not an expert

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
My advise is follow what is given to you on the writen spec sheet , then you are just following the given specification. Then any comebacks and your rear is covered. If you really feel it needs an EJ then get a written instruction from the archetect( if its not in his spec already).

Not so. If you follow a spec that you know to be defficient or questionable then you will be considered negligent as you have failed to apply Due Dilligence. No court would uphold your case if your only defence was that you were just following orders under those curcumstances.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
hello to all fixers
Just been asked to tile a 150mtr swimming pool, the client says he doesnt need any expansion joint in the structure the architect says he does. job is starting next week. should i put the joint/s in. Will be fixing 300x300 porcelain not sure as yet what to charge per mtr

I suppose the need for structural joints depends on the nauture of the structure. E.G 150mtr square traditional concrete base requires joints in all curcumstances. The number and configuartion depends on the depth of concrete. Maximum bay dimension should be no more than 40 times the depth so if 100mm deep joints every 4m. Aspect ratio for bays should not exceed 2:1. These sizes can be extended if suitable reinforcement is placed e.g steel fibres or A142 steel mesh. These joints are not for expansion but contraction joint to control cracking of the concrete due to shrinkage. Expansion joints as such are rarely needed in temperate climates such as the UK unless the concrete or screed is to be heated.

Brick walls should have a joint every 5 linear meters etc etc.

I guess the obvious question then is what is the subsrate because that will determine the need for joints.

Reply to swimming pool in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.