Currently reading:
STud Wall

Discuss STud Wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

boxfreak187

dot and dab onto brick. i am trying to keep the width down otherwise i will have to move the door frame over to allow for it. thats why i was wondering if i can use thin timber with loads of fixings to make it as strong as possible. i am not taking out the wall no, just taking the plaster off because its kind of weak and it comes off quite easily, done in the 80s i think, and i want to tile the wall. was going to tile over it but after reading things on here im a bit scared now!

D

doug boardley

dot and dab onto brick. i am trying to keep the width down otherwise i will have to move the door frame over to allow for it. thats why i was wondering if i can use thin timber with loads of fixings to make it as strong as possible. i am not taking out the wall no, just taking the plaster off because its kind of weak and it comes off quite easily, done in the 80s i think, and i want to tile the wall. was going to tile over it but after reading things on here im a bit scared now!
my apologies,i thought you were planning on making a stud partition wall out of 2 x 1:lol:

D

doug boardley

the tiles are not going to weigh the full 30kg per sqm, i was just wondering if it would be strong enough to hold the weight. so if i do use the 2x1 is it ok to use the 9mm board?
personally I'd advise against it, too flimsy imo, better using the 12.5mm, have you factored in the weight of the adhesive and grout per m2 too? (typically about an extra 4kg/m2)

B

boxfreak187

no i have not, but i think it will be ok using the 9mm plasterboard,thats what id like to do, simply because ive already got some in the garage! but if i need to get some 12mm i suppose ill have to, the thing is with that, the door may not open, which means i will have to move the door frame a little. its very tight! so if i dot and dab plasterboard with screw fixings, should i use the 9mm, or 12mm board? how would you screw fix the board?

Reply to STud Wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.