Currently reading:
Starting-up shopping list... Opinions please

Discuss Starting-up shopping list... Opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BrhTiling

Morning people!

I am just about to do a bit of shopping for my starting up tools... I have attached my list and I am wondering if I can get your opinions.. is anything missing?

I have been told to go for the TS40 for smaller jobs and the TS60 for bigger tiles... Sound good to you?

List:
RUBI TS40 & TS60
Rubi 160mm bucket trowel
Rubi 180mm gauging trowel
Stabila 600 & 1200mm sprit levels
Rubi wall tile drill set
Marshalltown 6mm and 10mm trowels
Shaw circle cutter
Plasplugs master tiler DWW180
Grout rake
sealant gun
Rubi ajustable stands???? - sounds like a good idea ?
Washboy

Attachments

• tileshoppinglist.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 95
S

Simon.

Well I've spent about £500 so far and still don't have a wet saw. I've a new Rubi TS 30 (nice and portable but too small for a lot of tiles) and a nice brand new shiny TS 60 Plus (£140 on ebay). I'm impressed with the Marshalltown tools. I'm still to book a course later in the year so I'm all show and no go as in racing parlance but I've got some free jobs lined up before then. Stick with the essentials (I've gone a bit overboard) and what with next day delivery you can buy tools on the internet (advertised on this site) as and when a particular job dictates.

K

kapitan

take it easy tiger to start with, buy tools as you need them , dont buy the ts60 go for the ts70, and buy the £40 plasplugs wetsaw from b+q , forget the wall drill set, get a cheap set of diamond hole saws from the bloke advertising in the forum,also forget the circle cutter, stands,bucket trowel,and the washboy , get some quality sponges and rubi snips, but the main thing you must get is a ruddy great big RADIO !!!! remember a tilers life is a lonelylife :wink_smile: oh and buy all that wivers said but he forgot the nurses outfit 2 sizes too small!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DevonR

get yourself some gorilla tubs too - for mixing your gear or else you may not be too sucessfull :wink_smile:
----
To be honest I got my start up package a lot cheaper only cost me £400 with a wet and large format dry cutter, tubs, long screws (for sockets), tile gauge, tile scribe, 3 x bucket trowels (various applications), grout wisk, grout rake, sealant rake, trim cutters, spare wheels for cutters, grout boy and spare sponges, small trowels, grout float and a few other things too.
Got mine from my training centre so the gear is good quality too.
Looks like I got a bargain.
Speak to Darren @ NETT if you need anything, I believe he does delivery.
Hope that helps.

V

Varley

get yourself some gorilla tubs too - for mixing your gear or else you may not be too sucessfull :wink_smile:
----
To be honest I got my start up package a lot cheaper only cost me £400 with a wet and large format dry cutter, tubs, long screws (for sockets), tile gauge, tile scribe, 3 x bucket trowels (various applications), grout wisk, grout rake, sealant rake, trim cutters, spare wheels for cutters, grout boy and spare sponges, small trowels, grout float and a few other things too.
Got mine from my training centre so the gear is good quality too.
Looks like I got a bargain.
Speak to Darren @ NETT if you need anything, I believe he does delivery.
Hope that helps.

Same here Dev, and it is good quality gear! :icon6:

B

BrhTiling

Well, I have spent £400 so far...

I went with a RUBI TS50 and a D-CUT table top wet saw... @169.99.... ouch... Bloody topps tiles sales staff sold me that one... I was going to go with a plasplugs for £100 but they showed me the D-cut thing working and I was impressed.

I'm sure it is going to be far too big for me needs... sigh

I have some trowels now...

I still need tapes / rulers / spirit levels / cordless drill and fittings? / washboy... etc etc etc.

Oh, and I am half way through my 4-week course now... so I decided to start stripping the splash-backs in my bathroom because I want to tile floor to ceiling in there as a practice job...... half of the wall plaster has come away in two areas... 3x3ft patches I'm guessing, right back to the bloody brick work!

The centre I'm training at offers a 1-week intensive plastering course for £350, although I may get a discount because I have already used them for the tiling course... Might be a good investment??

L

lendini

hi heres my list

tr600s rubi dry cutter
plasplugs master tiler with extra blades
marcrist diamond blades x 2 for wet cutter
4-12mm trowels all rubi
bolster chisel,hammer,white rubber mallet for non marking
mixing paddle,mixing drill (silver line)
3 levels 600 ,800, 1200
2 x flexi tubs
bosch corless 24 v drill
washboy+ sponges
tile trim cutters
mitre box ,hacksaw
sealant gun
oh and a fein multimaster kit
youngman work platform
marcrist pg850 diamond hole cutter kit
rubi nippers
rubi mosaic nippers
rubi parrot cutters
rubi hard material cutters
set of margin trowels
marshaltown float
prise bar
variour size rubi spacers and wedges
all i need now is a van

Reply to Starting-up shopping list... Opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.