Currently reading:
spray on sealer

Discuss spray on sealer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TilingLogistics

Well here goes and you don't often hear this from me. I have tried four different ones and they are all rubbish ................. Wait for it...............
Including the Aqua Mix one.

For a sealant to be efffective it has to reach the surface it is meant to be protecting! How can that happen when its being sprayed 50% of it is dispersed somewhere in the atmosphere another 25% drops on the floor if you are trying to seal walls. This stuff is a DIY product meant to fool the public and IMO no pro tiler should bother.

Kev

A

Alberta Stone

Ya know, every tile shop and wholesaler I have ever seen sealer in have all said their product was pretty good stuff.
And most of them probably are...pretty good.
Depending on the application.
Although there are some products that are utter turds.
I bought some DuPont gloss sealer (water-based) to finish some polished slate and it is a good thing I test before I do the whole thing as it left a sort of whitish look to it in a patchy way which was not what we were hoping for.
Luckily I had bought a gallon of the solvent based stuff from another shop previously as that brought out the colors and left a clear look.

The problem with the water-based product, and I did a test at home with another good gloss water-based sealer which did the same, was that any sanding marks coarser than 400 grit would produce the whitish effect.
I have no idea why it wouldn't gloss those patchs up as well, I know the solvent based would take a tile I sanded with 80 grit and it would fill in the lines and actually gloss it up so you could barely see that it was still rough, whereas any water-based, forget about it.

Another point, DuPont has a sealer called "Bulletproof" which doesn't change the color of grout or stone, but even one good application and water sprayed on will just bead right up.
I use it for walls and ceilings in showers and backsplashs, etc, and I put it in a spray bottle which has a jet option for the nozzle and that sure helps with the application process and virtually no overspray, as for clean up it leaves no residue that can't be wiped off with a paper towel.

Reply to spray on sealer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.