Search the forum,

Discuss Spacers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JIMBOB187

Morning all,

Can someone explain the true purpose of spacers for me, I assume rightly or wrongly that their purpose is two fold, one to create uniformity in appearance and two to increase stability in the finished wall or floor. I only ask as a friend had a tiler around last year who didi his kitchen splashback with no spacers was this ok or does this guy have hius own stables (cowboy), the kitchen looks good just with very very thin grout. any advice appreciated, oh and got air in my filter yesterday as the seal was not put on correctly after service, top speed or 22 mph on a 7 mile stretch of very busy road, NIGHTMARE.......

G

grumpygrouter

As far as I am aware, spacers are there as a guide only. They make it "easier" to give a uniform grout line but you can only use them as a guide. I am not sure what you mean about stability in the finished tiling!

I never leave my spacers in as the can get behind the tile and kick it out, also what if the tiles are not "square" or different dimensions? You would need the check things are right by eye. Trusting the spacers can, at times, cause big problems.

If you mean the guy did his kitchen without a "defined" grout line then I fear he may have problems at some time in the future as he will not have any room for "movement" - one of the reasons for a grout line.....is that the stability you are talking about?

Grumpy

Reply to Spacers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen