Currently reading:
Some people are having a laugh with their pricing

Discuss Some people are having a laugh with their pricing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Hope nobody takes job on... people like these with their silly pricing are destroying the trade. You would have to graft bloomin hard to make a wage, never mind a profit. These tiles just can't be thrown onto a rendered wall to produce a good job.
He says somewhere I think that client is very picky...
me thinks someone is trying to take a hefty cut on some other tilers work.
Hope he gets nobody

Y

The old aggage says..

Attachments

• monkey.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 18
Somerset
Day rates starting as low as £80, £15/sq m walls, £20/sq m floors (all prices include addy, grout and silicone). Thats what a lot of tilers around here are charging - at least one threatens to beat your quote in adverts. However.

I have increasingly found that you dont have to quote that low to win jobs. And I still got work booked in for several weeks ahead. But I cannot afford to be complacent when quoting - there is no rounding up, only "how much for cash" negotiations. And I still lose more than 50% of all quotes on price.

Y

The talk of current market rates being low does not wash with me.. people offering and expecting tiling done for such scandalously low prices only get them because tilers are prepared to take on the jobs. Pity there is not a tilers trade union, with an agreement not to drop below a certain price. We ( they ) are perpetuating this. i have been guilty of taking on lower paid work when things have been quiet, but realise now that this is not the way forward. This pricing really takes the biscuit for me.
NOBODY qualified in their right mind should agree to undertake 600 x 600 wall tiling at this price per metre... this is the very bottom end for fixing 6 x 6 whites onto walls.Perhaps it would be better if tilers offered to pay him for the priveledge of taking on the work.
I enquired about another job in Preston on Forum, plenty of metres to go at, floor tiling,guy was offering £80.00 per day,day rate.
Apparently some of the tilers he had used were fixing 8 metres per day and he was not happy & under pressure from client.
I am not surprised.
I know that prices are generally higher nationwide, it is just that as the lower you get down the food chain, everyone wants to make a few quid by subbing it out.Poor guy that sticks em on floor ends up with monkey nuts.

T

The D

The talk of current market rates being low does not wash with me.. people offering and expecting tiling done for such scandalously low prices only get them because tilers are prepared to take on the jobs. Pity there is not a tilers trade union, with an agreement not to drop below a certain price. We ( they ) are perpetuating this. i have been guilty of taking on lower paid work when things have been quiet, but realise now that this is not the way forward. This pricing really takes the biscuit for me.
NOBODY qualified in their right mind should agree to undertake 600 x 600 wall tiling at this price per metre... this is the very bottom end for fixing 6 x 6 whites onto walls.Perhaps it would be better if tilers offered to pay him for the priveledge of taking on the work.
I enquired about another job in Preston on Forum, plenty of metres to go at, floor tiling,guy was offering £80.00 per day,day rate.
Apparently some of the tilers he had used were fixing 8 metres per day and he was not happy & under pressure from client.
I am not surprised.
I know that prices are generally higher nationwide, it is just that as the lower you get down the food chain, everyone wants to make a few quid by subbing it out.Poor guy that sticks em on floor ends up with monkey nuts.
The thing is m8 there are tilers out there that can still just about make that price pay. They will not get rich of the job but they will pay there bills. If you do not want or need the work good for you but I am confident there will be someone out there glad of it.

Y

We are all glad of work... but seriously low pricing under values us all.We are self employed to actually make a profit,not scratch around in the dirt to make a living.Low pricing affects us all in the long run.I am happy to stick my neck out and make a stand.
If you wish to condone this then it is your choice. I would rather upset members and make a point, than not say anything......
If this downward spiral of low pricing were to continue with the current recession and general state of the bulilding trade, where would you draw the line ?
£10
£9
£8
£7
£6
£5
£4
£3
£2
£1 .. a metre ?
Yes someone would be glad of the work, but at what price ? Someone is making a profit on the job, but it sure isn't the tiler who spends a week on his hands and knees. You may think I am being harsh,or outspoken... yes I am. I am just wanting to try and protect our trade.Where is the cut off point ? Somewhere down the line we have to make a stand.
Regards no offence meant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Some people are having a laugh with their pricing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.