Search the forum,

Discuss Some colour / style tips in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mercedism

Small attic bathroom. Sloping ceilings, small velux. White bath and seperate shower. Floor and all vertical walls to be tiled.

Floor tiles are left over from previous job so have to be used. 333 x 333 brown riven porcelain.

15 sheets of glass mosiacs, brown/gold flecks can be put anywhere to marry up with the floor colour.

Was thinking 40 x 25 size wall tiles in a brick bond pattern.

Now this is where i am stuck, was originally thinking a bright white gloss tile maybe even bumpy for all the walls. But as the ceilings slope i am worried i won't get a good enough transition from the walls to the ceiling, also with bath and shower, too much white on white.

Any opinions on this, should i really be looking at another colour for the walls? and as floor tiles are not gloss should i be looking for a similiar finish for the walls?

R

Rich

Not really something we can decide for you Im afraid. As long as the tiles you buy are suitable for the walls/floors you can have ANY colour or shape or size (within substrate weight limits) you fancy.

Having a lot of white in a room does tend to make the room look very clean and fresh as long as it is kept clean but also cold. I wouldnt every want a room that was all white with no colour but as you have a mosaic tile to break the colour up, you can have a play and see where you would like them.

P

Pebbs

Small attic bathroom. Sloping ceilings, small velux. White bath and seperate shower. Floor and all vertical walls to be tiled.

Floor tiles are left over from previous job so have to be used. 333 x 333 brown riven porcelain.

15 sheets of glass mosiacs, brown/gold flecks can be put anywhere to marry up with the floor colour.

Was thinking 40 x 25 size wall tiles in a brick bond pattern.

Now this is where i am stuck, was originally thinking a bright white gloss tile maybe even bumpy for all the walls. But as the ceilings slope i am worried i won't get a good enough transition from the walls to the ceiling, also with bath and shower, too much white on white.

Any opinions on this, should i really be looking at another colour for the walls? and as floor tiles are not gloss should i be looking for a similiar finish for the walls?

Whooh a lot going on there, I dont think you want to be adding white tiles into the mix IMO. I would be looking for a beige tile, in the same format size as the floor tile. Then use the mosaic as a vertical feature in between, if you have enough one floor to ceiling in the shower area and the same midway against the back wall against the bath. Tie the colours in, and let the mosaic do its stuff.

Pebbs

M

mercedism

Thanks, going out again looking tomorrow. I might be hard pushed to find a 333 square tile but if i do are you saying not to stagger them? Should i keep the mosaics full size or should i split them to give me more effect.

Open to all suggestions.

U

user123

I'm with Pebbs, the brown floor and mosaics would go so much better with a beige, or even better, cream tile instead of white. Keep the look simple and uncluttered and soften it with matching accessories, cork comes to mind.... a green bottle with a candle in it...I get carried away... :lol:

M

mercedism

Can now see white was the wrong choice so going to be looking at others, any comments on what size wall tile to go with the 333 floor tiles?

U

user123

Same size as the floor tiles or smaller IMO, large tiles on the slanted ceiling would look overpowering, like bearing down on you, especially when combined with comparatively smaller tiles and browns, beiges etc being a warm colour can be closing in on you, smaller tiles give a sense of distance and space.

As it's a small bathroom, and an attic room to boot, ventilation (is there an extractor fan?) is really important, also give a thought to roof insulation if you haven't already. Post pictures when you're done! :)

M

mercedism

Its fully insulated and extractor fan ready to go in. There won't be no tiles on the ceiling though. Only on vertical walls.

M

mercedism

Found some 33 x 25's. Given the floor tile is 33 x 33 would these be better landscape and should i stack them or stagger them?

U

user123

Heyyyyy, it's your turn now... place them both ways on the floor, stand back, imagine ... decide :)

Reply to Some colour / style tips in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen