Search the forum,

Discuss Silicone sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

angedup

Sealant - what a total nightmare. The tiling is easy but using silicone sealant to finish off lets me down every time.

I squeeze it out through the gun in an uneven blobby line, it continues to ooze out the nozzle all over everything while I am desperately trying to loosen the pressure of the gun on the bottle whilst catching the escaping sealant with blobs of quickly grabbed loo roll. Then starts the task of smoothing it - wet finger currently the prefered method but still leaves a lot to be desired. Eventually the increasing amount of silicone on my finger makes me realise none is left on the join. Then there are the several days following of finding sealant glued randomly to most surfaces in the bathroom and various other body parts. This problem is not unique to my little tiling splashbacks above the basins project but also happens if I redo the shower tray, bath etc.

What is the secret??
My sealant looks unprofessional and I look ridiculous during the process.:thumbsdown:

D

dagger

i personally beleive that siliconing is an art form, it took me years to get to the standard i am today, i no longer tape off (time consuming), i no longer use soapy water (can stop silicone sticking) and i think my results are fantastic, but it is all in the practice.

after trying everyway imaginable my method suits me!

look at the perimiter and corners of this room i did:

showerendy.jpg

second to practice, practice, practice i would chose "CORNERTAPE".

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Silicone sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.