Search the forum,

Discuss Setting mosaic onto cement slabs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I need to set a mosaic onto cement paving slabs for use in a garden, 1.7m circle with square off set. this is a brand new set of slabs. I'll need to level off the surface of the slabs with a layer of cement, the mosaic will be done direct onto the surface and I'll be using 5mm thick marble tiles, roughly 10mm size with 1mm - 2mm gaps.

I was thinking of;

1. Cleaning the surface of the slabs, do I need to prime them?
2. To level off the surface, any particular type of cement?
3. Using Bostik Sticks Like or CT1 as the adhesive then sealing (LTP) and grouting with Mapei exterior grout.

I'm not sure if I'll need to use anything to avoid the surface being too slippery I'll have to see how they finish.

Any comments?

Ta,

U

user123

I need to set a mosaic onto cement paving slabs for use in a garden, 1.7m circle with square off set. this is a brand new set of slabs. I'll need to level off the surface of the slabs with a layer of cement, the mosaic will be done direct onto the surface and I'll be using 5mm thick marble tiles, roughly 10mm size with 1mm - 2mm gaps.

I was thinking of;

1. Cleaning the surface of the slabs, do I need to prime them?
2. To level off the surface, any particular type of cement?
3. Using Bostik Sticks Like or CT1 as the adhesive then sealing (LTP) and grouting with Mapei exterior grout.

I'm not sure if I'll need to use anything to avoid the surface being too slippery I'll have to see how they finish.

Any comments?

Ta,

Hey, Lawrence, :) why do you want to use Bostic Stick Like or silicone in that situation that rather than any exterior grade cement adhesive and flatten your work with a grout float as you go along? Don't quite understand your reasoning there, explain it to me :) The grout and such small pieces should make it slip proof, really. Personally I would clean the slabs throughly, when dry prime them with 5:1 water: SBR bond, to avoid cement dust, and make sure to brush each section as you go along. Might be totally wrong but that's how I would approach it anyhow. Alslo would help myself with wooden or wire guides for accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Setting mosaic onto cement slabs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.