Discuss Riven slate skirtings in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I hope you can see the photos clearly enough to help. I'm fitting a floor in there porcelanosa slate tiles next week and am doing 150mm skirtings, the customer wanted to use black metal trim bit I talked them out of that. Question is, what is the best way to finish them? Too uneven to profile (I think, haven't tried), maybe just polish the edge? Not sure.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364577675.926360.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364577698.893719.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364577717.026912.jpg

I

Ian

Not tried yet, I think that's the only way to go to be honest, I see there is a stamp printed on the edge, I hope that comes off!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

This is one I did Bri, the customer wanted just the natural edge. Pics are not very good.

Attachments

• slate 013.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 37
  • alt5.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 35
  • slate 010.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 39
I

Ian

That looks spot on Phil. Did you do anything with the exposed edges? Hard to see from pics. (other than sealing them)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

That looks spot on Phil. Did you do anything with the exposed edges? Hard to see from pics. (other than sealing them)

No Bri just grouted the top edge joints very carefully after sealing it then sealed again. I used decorators caulk on the joint between the skirt tile and the wall, if that makes sense, the customer wanted a natural look on the 100mm skirting, no trim.:thumbsup:

E

Eduardo

No Bri just grouted the top edge joints very carefully after sealing it then sealed again. I used decorators caulk on the joint between the skirt tile and the wall, if that makes sense, the customer wanted a natural look on the 100mm skirting, no trim.:thumbsup:

I think 150 mm is a bit too high ... 100mm looks much better,no trim.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Natural tile, natural edge if it was mine. Any sort of trim would take the ruggedness away from the tile. I did the same for a customer of mine, in Dove Grey slate. 100mm skirtings just cut and sealed. Sorry no photos it was from quite a while ago.

C

Concrete guy

Profiling would look out of place, the natural riven face wouldn't lend itself to a nice neat profile.

I'd probably put a small bevel (2mm or so) on it that would follow the riven surface. It will also reduce chipping from the edge once finished.

An electroplated vanity blade or similar would be ideal for this.

Reply to Riven slate skirtings in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay