Search the forum,

Discuss Removing plaster from internal wall to re-board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

lasors

Hello all,

I'm redoing the bathroom and will be using quite a large tile (400x300) on all walls. Two internal walls are plastered and are nowhere near flat, so to save me some pain later on I think it's best it comes off to be boarded to give me a nice flat surface to tile on and extra strength for the heavy tiles.

It's the original walls of a 1950s council house, timber studs with ash block/brick in between it seems. I was planning on using an SDS drill with cranked chisel and taking off all plaster down to the studs and attaching boards to these, probably with adhesive to level and mechanical fixings after.

Does this method sound ok? I'm worried about possible damage to the wall, particularly the plaster on the other side. Should I be? The wall isn't particularly thick.

Overboarding is not an option as space really is that tight given the desired furniture going in.

Thanks for any advice.

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sounds ok to me. You might not need the SDS drill as a lot of the time houses of that age have plaster that is fairly blown anyway so a shovel behind the plaster can work. You could also consider a steamer if you have one as these will often blow the plaster too which is a lot more delicate if you're worried about the plaster on the other side of the wall.

L

lasors

The external wall I've had to strip so far isn't lath and plaster, no. It's a rough coat straight onto brick and block then skimmed.

L

lasors

No it's not lath and plaster as far as I can make out, not taken any interior walls to bits yet though. The few bare inches at the bottom show no laths just a rough coat over block and brick with skim on top.

It will be moisture resistant board, and aquapanel around shower-over-bath.

L

lasors

Sorry, not used to this 'moderator approval before posting' thing, didn't think it had gone through!

W

White Room

It could be sand/cement as it was built in the 50's, some of the blocks in internal walls could be 50-75mm thick. Might be worth checking out, an sds could cause more damage than good.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It could be sand/cement as it was built in the 50's, some of the blocks in internal walls could be 50-75mm thick. Might be worth checking out, an sds could cuse more damage than good.

Yeah be very careful and check wall thickness prior to using SDS drill and also if you were thinking of chasing shower pipes into wall. You could end up with a hole in the next room as a plumber I used to work with found out to his cost.

Reply to Removing plaster from internal wall to re-board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen