Search the forum,

Discuss Raised Wet Room Enclosure - with shower door in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

shrub100

Hi All,

I am hoping to get some opinions regarding my Wet-Room design. Essentially I have a corridor shaped downstairs cloakroom that currently has a regular shower tray and horrid fabric screen. I am about to install a new bathroom suite but want to find a way to make that room look bigger.

My thoughts were to create a raised platform where the existing shower tray is (maybe 150-200mm in height) and then create a wet-room shower area which would be tiled with the same tiles as the rest of the floor. As the shower area will only be 800mm wide x 900mm deep I was planning on fitting a full width frame-less shower door. To help encourage the water to flow away from the door I am proposing to have a linear end-drain at the rear of the shower so that the water runs backwards, and allow 100mm beyond the door so that water that escapes the shower door can run backwards. I was also thinking of positioning the tray so that the drain adjoins the wall as closely as possible, and give the tray a 2 degree increased incline to give the water more incentive to flow front to back.

What are your thoughts on this design. I have seen showers identical to this in some of the hotels I have stayed in so believe that it can be achieved, but would welcome your ideas and thoughts. My main concerns are as follows:

1. Whilst the bathroom will be tiled on the entire floor, outside of the bathroom door (500mm distance) is a wooden floor which I do not want to get wet. Any thoughts on how much water is likely to escape the enclosure?
  2. Does the idea of creating an additional incline make any sense - or is the incline of the tray usually sufficient to keep water in the enclosures.
  3. I am looking at Orbry trays and kits as they seem to have a good linear end-drain tray which seems decent value....has anyone used their products before?

Thanks so much for your advice and help. Whilst I have read through many posts I have not seen much on wet-room enclosures with frame less doors like I am planning.

Regards,

Jon

Q

Qwerty

1. Whilst the bathroom will be tiled on the entire floor, outside of the bathroom door (500mm distance) is a wooden floor which I do not want to get wet. Any thoughts on how much water is likely to escape the enclosure?
  2. Does the idea of creating an additional incline make any sense - or is the incline of the tray usually sufficient to keep water in the enclosures.
  3. I am looking at Orbry trays and kits as they seem to have a good linear end-drain tray which seems decent value....has anyone used their products before?

1. With doors, water should not escape the shower wet zone. Tank all walls and floors. It really all depends how well it is all installed

2. Most formers are more than sufficient to allow water to drain perfectly

3. Orbry are well made and fairly straight forward to install.

I would always advise people use a professional who has experience in wet rooms to install it, but work cleanly, precisely and follow all instructions and you should be fine.

Reply to Raised Wet Room Enclosure - with shower door in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen