Discuss Questions about backerboard for tub surround in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I am installing Hardie backerboard for a bathtub surround and plan to tile the tub surround with 12 x 12 ceramic tile.

1. The hardie backerboard is water resistant, not waterproof, so I was planning to waterproof it with Aqua Defense.
2. Installation instructions for Hardie backerboard say to fill the 1/8 inch gap between the boards and cover the seams with thinset and embed alkali-resistant fiberglass tape into the thinset. Hardie does not address using waterproofing.

My question: Do I apply the Aqua Defense after I apply thinset and tape so the thinset is also waterproofed or do I apply the Aqua Defense to the hardie backerboards before I apply the thinset?

It makes sense to me to do the seams with thinset and tape first and then waterproof it.

Some help with this would be greatly appreciated.

J

Jpvvpj

Yes thin set tape everything and last step water proof.. Hardie backer is something we never use ,, it brakes very easy if you nail or screw next to the edges and you always have to fasten the board close to the edges . Also there is a dusty powder that is always on the board even after sweeping it so I would get a scrap and paint some water proofing on it and let it cure then see how easy it will peal off. May work great or it may peal right off . Better to know ahead right ..

Reply to Questions about backerboard for tub surround in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks