Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Build-up Needed for Tile Installation in Shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am doing a shower tile installation on mold-resistant drywall and I am waterproofing with redguard. The drywall comes down and sits on the shower edge/lip, and the tile will go over the lip and down to the base of the shower. All looks great except one of the studs was a little bowed and one of the bottom corners of the shower has a small section where the drywall doesn't come out over the lip which will prevent the tile from being able to sit correctly. As a result I need to build up this section. The section tapers from about 1/4" short to 0" over a 1' x 2' section, where I need to build it up. My questions are:

1) Can I use thinset to build this section up?
2) If I do, should I apply thinset before or after the redguard?
3) If not thinset, what can I do to build this section up so the tile will sit right?

Thanks!
Bob

OP
robertlair
Reaction score
send some pictures that might be a help to us
So I have attached two photos, IMG_3767 shows the drywall that isn't quite covering the shower lip (I put flashing tape on for additional water proofing). Then in the second image IMG_3769, I put up a piece of tile so it is level with the shower edge and you can see the gap I am dealing with (at its worst I am dealing with about 1/4", but tapers away in about 2')

I have had one person now tell me that I should just waterproof like normal (without any build up), and in that corner just apply more thinset behind the tile. I just didn't know the best approach, as I was worried a large amount of thinset could break off, etc.

Thanks so much for your advice!
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3769.jpg
    IMG_3769.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
oh I see clean up the area, get some acrylic primer from Home Depot Level Quick would do, soak in the bottom portion of the drywall let it cure overnight, then get yourself some Schluter Kerd Fix and fill up the gap and let it cure overnight. You should create a seal along the shower pan using the Schluter Kerd Fix. S K Fix is an elastic https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ very good for building bathrooms and showers. Do not use silicone.

Reply to Build-up Needed for Tile Installation in Shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock