Search the forum,

Discuss Question for the Chippies-Mike The Tile, Strummerman in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

......as well as input from any of the other chippies here on the forum....:thumbsup:

I have a job coming up to install cabinets in a kitchen, and they are the frameless, full-overlay, "Euro" type of carcass construction. These are relatively unknown to me and my crew. I've installed a few jobs over the years but it has been a long time.

Please take a look at this link and tell me if this is the normal way to fasten the boxes together-to use the male and female sleeve through the 5 mm holes that are drilled along the sides of the boxes?

RTA Furniture & Cabinet Screws, Screws by Application, Screws - McFeely's

Thanks for any tips you have for me.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

Hi Rob

yes we use these fixings. I hide them where possible behind the hinges

the adjustable hangers can be a pain sometimes if the walls are uneven so I leave them unadjusted and hang the units, clamp the fronts where I want them then drill and fit these fixings

its a simple mater then to level all the units as one , take care not to overtighten the adjusters

ive never had units loosen or come down but I still prefer the way we used to do it, srewing a frame to the wall and fixing to that

but thats progress for you

R

Rob Z

Michael, thanks...I thought those things looked good because they would clamp the boxes together without risk of a screw blowing out the side of a box because there isn't much to bite into. I haven't inspected these cabinets yet, but if they're MDF then I don't want to run a screw into it.

For 20 years I've been clamping, drilling and screwing face frames together, so this is a new on for me. Or at least since one frameless job I did sometime back in the 90's (ancient history :D ). I don't remember how I fastened those together.

M

mikethetile

Michael, thanks...I thought those things looked good because they would clamp the boxes together without risk of a screw blowing out the side of a box because there isn't much to bite into. I haven't inspected these cabinets yet, but if they're MDF then I don't want to run a screw into it.

For 20 years I've been clamping, drilling and screwing face frames together, so this is a new on for me. Or at least since one frameless job I did sometime back in the 90's (ancient history :D ). I don't remember how I fastened those together.
most of these units are particleboard so dont take screws that well and as you say theres always the danger of blowing out

the fixings are supplied with the units and I use them, it takes a little longer but im happy they do the job they are intended for

Reply to Question for the Chippies-Mike The Tile, Strummerman in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.