Currently reading:
Pricing

Discuss Pricing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jones the tile

Hi Guys, how are you all doing with recent quotes ? I have just qouted for a kitchen splashback approx 3msq in total including windowsill. 10X10 tiles to be used and all old tiles to be removed and surface to be made good. I included white star adhesive and antibacterial grout and trim ( altogether about £50 quids worth of materials ). The job would have taken me 3 days ! The customer has informed me that a family friend is now doing it CHEAPER ! You wonder why we bother sometimes !!! IS IT ME !!!:mad2:

M

mikethetile

this is something we all have to get used to

people are watching their finances and theres a lot of blokes laid off or on short time

this family friend could be an out of work chippy or other trade thats able to tile

i have to agree that 3 days does seem a bit long to stick 3m2 but i havent seen the job or the extent of making good

when things get the way they are now you can compete on price........not a good idea

or you can offer value for money,

a first class and professional service making your customers feel valued and special,

and charge a first class and professional rate

i hope this helps

mike

T

Time's Ran Out

Dave the administrator 'wots up' ref:pricing

A man goes on a course and then after 2 years estimates a job at the rate of 1metre a day for 3 days! He ponders over the reason why he doesn't get the job and wonders whether all the effort is worth it. Then 95% of forum input is giving him positive feedback i.e. 3 days is too long, and his response is - 'I would rather do a proper job than a quickie' -Thats what's up Dave.

G

graham31

Re: Dave the administrator 'wots up' ref:pricing

A man goes on a course and then after 2 years estimates a job at the rate of 1metre a day for 3 days! He ponders over the reason why he doesn't get the job and wonders whether all the effort is worth it. Then 95% of forum input is giving him positive feedback i.e. 3 days is too long, and his response is - 'I would rather do a proper job than a quickie' -Thats what's up Dave.
What would you rather do run him down make fun of him tell him he's no good then the member dosn't post or ask questions agian for the fear of bein made a fool of.

Yeah 3days seems excessive but you haven't seen the job............So if it takes Jones The Tiler 3days to do a good job thats what it takes him.

We give good constructive and helpful advice on this forum.Thats what the forums built on not making making fun of members and running them down so they never come back :prrr:

F

faithhealer

Re: Dave the administrator 'wots up' ref:pricing

Hi John, Agree with Graham here, I used to use the plumbers forum but got sick of the slagging off newbies ALWAYS got. We pride ourselves on this forum with helping everyone, 9000 plus members speaks for itself. This tiler will either get better with our advice or will change his career one day. Customers are often on here with their queries too so not just pro tilers on here John

T

Time's Ran Out

:oops:Thanks for explaining the virtues of a forum.
If I wrote the comments about slagging off, telling him he couldn't do the job, making fun, running him down or making a fool of him then I would agree - but I didn't go there .
However I answered a question with more constructive input than that only to be told I wasn't doing the job properly.
As far as diplomacy is concerned it has never been my strongest point and if jones the tiler is upset then his retort - You havn't seen the job -was just about spot on.:mad2:

L

LM Ceramics

smurf is right in that you cant expect the client to pay for your lack of speed, which is why its best to give a price

i think this is an old thread and dou bt if the op is going to read it

im sorry but i have to agree with you and smurf on this there is no way you can charge a full day rate on 3 days for a 3m2 if you got the job then fair play but most customers arent that stupid. my advice is if your slow at tiling then have a set price for the ob if it means dropping your day rate to get the job the fine

Reply to Pricing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.