Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss original style setting out in hall in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

bluesky

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi all , i`ve done quite a few original style floors over the years and now have another lined up and need a bit of advice .usually on setting out i try not to have any cutting on the main pattern or the border , with the only cutting from the outside of the border to the wall . with the job i am planning it has a really long corridor with a corner in it (14 m in total length) with 6 doors leading off it . the lady would like the border to be next to the skirting with the cutting inside of the border (this being the main pattern .) inside pattern is the 4inch black and dover white - this seems like a lot more cutting !
any thoughts / ideas greatly appreciated .

I

Ian

Whole tiles off the skirting surely won't work unless the length of the corridor is straight? Are the skirtings coming off first?

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd show her the two setting out proceedures you've mentioned. Her way will highlight any unevenness in the outside walls.
However we did a hallway a cople of years ago with a similar predicament as the house was in a crescent. November uploads + 011.jpg

bluesky

TF
Arms
Reaction score
thanks john , my way is to come of the skirting - think i may need to pay her another visit . thanks again

bluesky

TF
Arms
Reaction score
skirting not coming off and corridor over first 9 m is not straight . i knew i was right - just needed a bit of confrmation - many thanks

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As TJ, where poss the variable (the cut to the perimeter) should take up any out of square or parallel discrepancies in the area.

The job TJ has illustrated sums up the need for a professional eye, and a focus on what will look right, ( a pleasing effect):thumbsup:

Not always easy:drool5:.Esthetic's are an important part of this type of work:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd show her the two setting out proceedures you've mentioned. Her way will highlight any unevenness in the outside walls.
However we did a hallway a cople of years ago with a similar predicament as the house was in a crescent. View attachment 28785

To pick up on Mr Hobsons comment it is down to aesthetics and what looks 'right'.
It is not that noticeable from my photo but the left pillar doesn't have any outside border at this side of the design. This was a point of discussion with the client and dry cuts put in place to show the alternatives before I decided he would accept it the way it has been done:lol: This way we have symmetry on the inner border at the expense of a piece of black outside frame border. If my memory serves then the hallway was over 24inches (600mm) wider at the rear of the house than at the front door. As we are never too old to learn, the client had a portfolio of Victorian designs that showed the main pattern flowing under and the border running into the staircase, giving the appearance that the staircase was installed on top of the tiling, which is the way we undertook this project.

Note : don't forget to take some photos - Admin love photos.

Reply to original style setting out in hall in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks