Currently reading:
My quote cut in half

Discuss My quote cut in half in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paulyoung666

Some area's are like this.... but you have to live...

very true , i have posted in another thread , it is not just the tiling industry that has gone back in money terms , pretty much all trades have , you can try and hold out for the better money you think you should get , the problem is you may run out of money before you get the better money you think you should get :yikes:

D

davy_G

You said it would take you 5-6 days. At 6 days thats 100 a day.
Its alot of work in a week and there is no profit in it, but the chap who is doing it isnt really cutting his own throat....

Im not saying you should match him or even reduce your quote, just thank the customer for the chance to quote and wish them well explaining that you can not give your standard of craftmanship for that price.:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

I've priced jobs and the customers have had a fit and showed me what some other guy had priced the job to cost....and I have realized on some occasions that the other guy's price was about the same as my fixed costs (materials, permits, etc), to say nothing of the labor. Those are no-win situations, and the best that anyone can do is leave without any negative words spoken and hope the lost customer calls again for another job or maybe even to fix the mistakes the other guy might cause.

People who is going that cheap they don't know what they doing, porcelain > means applying adhesive on back of the tile, and that means more time, 600 works like 13.3 per metr?? I had few jobs like that to repair, guys did everything plumbing, decorating, all carpentry, they said for client that they do everything including tiling, shame that I had to redo all tiling they did, I pulled 1 tile from the wall and all tiles felt off, lips was all over the place, to do nice job you need time > time > cost money, you price is to low in my opinion any whey
good luck

S

Scott

There are so many variable when pricing, it could be a case of the customer trying it on. It could also be a case of the other person miscalculating the area, or even a typo on his quote, maybe it should have been £1600!!!

You could always ofer to do it for £600 and ask them which half they wanted left out :thumbsup:

I never drop prices unless they are on holiday and i get really :incazzato: if they ask me to. I had Direct line insurance call me about a job Friday, i priced it as £720, they came back and said they made it £600. I told the jumped up little squirt to go and do it for £600 then, or try and get someone else to look at the job and do it for that.

Stick to your prices and stick to your standards!

S

stoner

Thanks for all the replies guys. I might have to start dropping my prices tbh though, i'd sooner clear £400 a week than sit at home losing jobs due to pricing, atleast bills will get paid. Will be £100 a day soon i think. :thumbsdown:The customer i mentioned is the developer of new luxury flats in yorkshire and he has had one of the four penthouses which they are selling for £600k lol which makes you even more surprised by him taking the other quote. Phone is quiet but i've only lost out on 3 jobs this year so can't really complain.

R

Richard Edwards

This topic is becoming a repeat of a repeat and that's a bit of a worry.

That said, I think its always a good policy to work out your price based on costs - ie your costs of all components - materials, van running costs, tax etc and then decide what you need for yourself - based on average earnings per day - use 40 weeks a year and decide how much you need to earn. Cal daily rate and use that.

I had a situation last Autumn, when the phone hardly ever rang and I quoted a few jobs and were under cut by morons, who I know were not going to prep as we do, [customer info] and we did not turn a penny for 4 months.
Now were are busy again - thank goodness. But one thing I have not done is drop the rate and will never. Thats how we run our business. Occasionally we have had a client ot two, usually women strangely enough, who when given a price at say £1000, ask if we can do it for £800. We have said - yes ok we can drop the price - however which bit of the rip-out are you going to do yourself or are you now going to supply the correct brand of addy / grout yourself. ? - The answer usually is Non.

To which I respond thus. - Ok Mrs Jones, so what your saying is that you are asking for discount - but not prepared to offer any thing to trade with.? to off-set the lower price. This Mrs Jones sounds like we have to give you £200 for the privilage of working on your home. Is this a 'Cash Back deal '

Put like that Mrs Jones might colour - up. We very politely say No and offer to do the work at £1000 as per quote - if she wanted to take up the offer, please let me know - Bye.

M

mikethetile

im holding my rates up but im struggling to keep the work coming in

I am being seriously undercut

im sick of the whole situation, I know theres a process here that repeats itself every time theres a downturn

market gets flooded with cut rate chancers, people jump up and down with joy at the prices for getting work done

having a cheap quote in their hand they try and use it as a lever against the quoters to bring the quote down as they would rather have you do the work as you look more proffessional and sound as if you know what your at

people get the work they have paid for and are unhappy

you get asked to sort it but they have already paid so if they pay you the job would have cost a lot more than you originally quoted , which isnt fair

you refuse to do it cheaper

lessons are learnt and chancers move on to something else as they cant scratch a living

rates go back up, shortage of tradesmen pushes rates higher, tradesmen return to trade and things stabilise

were in the first stages here and the chancers are now giving up, im keeping my rates up to take advantage of the next stage, where lessons have been learnt and they want a proper job fom a proper tradesman

Reply to My quote cut in half in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.