Discuss Mosaic tile size in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

notaclue

Hi, more questions! :lol:

My new wetroom will have an AKW Tuff tray mounted onto new joists with 25mm marine ply in between & should therefore be a pretty solid installation.
I'm using Aquaproof tanking system & am going to mosaic tile the floor with tumbled travertine, question is, will I be OK using the smaller 25mm sq tiles?
The tray spec say's it is tested to withstand high loads typically created by a 40 stone (254kg) wheelchair user with carer in attendance, should be OK for a normal person then :rolleyes5:
Thanks

Reaction score
Good advice Whitebeam, we have this stated on our website
If using mosaic tiles they should be no smaller than 50mm square. Do not use mosaic tiles if the tray area is going to be subject to high localised point loads, such as wheelchair usage. Tiles of 150mm square or greater should be used for wheelchair usage. - See more at: How to install PCS level wet room kits

D

DHTiling

There is a load difference between AKW trays and the marmox polycore type. AKW are the hard plastic type.

D

DHTiling

I was not correcting anybody Lee , just pointing out that the hard plastic trays are stronger that polycore type..

As for mosaic size, then IMO if it is light domestic use like wetrooms for barefoot use and not heavy loading like wheel chairs etc etc then the tumbled trav mentioned will be fine.. used them quite a few times myself and i am on the job at present using them..

As usual any job should judged on the use and risk..

S

skymole

I was not correcting anybody Lee , just pointing out that the hard plastic trays are stronger that polycore type..

As for mosaic size, then IMO if it is light domestic use like wetrooms for barefoot use and not heavy loading like wheel chairs etc etc then the tumbled trav mentioned will be fine.. used them quite a few times myself and i am on the job at present using them..

As usual any job should judged on the use and risk..

Hi Dave - (at risk of hijacking the thread sry) I actually have a similar couple of questions: I know that Marmox specify a minimum mosaic of 50x50 re point loading - would you say the same applies to wedi trays? Also we are looking at a job which will have under floor heating over the tray. We were proposing on using slc over the ufh before tiling - my instinct is that this will sufficiently spread the load such that 25x25 mosaics would be suitable - would you agree? Thx

N

notaclue

Well, I'e just found AKW's own video of how to tile their trays & they are using 25mm mosaic so I guess that confirms it :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Mosaic tile size in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay